State of the Lake and Wind Turbines

Thanks, I appreciate the response. It would be one state agency(DEC) commenting on another state agency(NYPA) so I am quite sure there would be a non-answer response, even if they did feel strongly about the topic.

No formal mention of the turbines but the NYPA has contacted DEC about them. DEC has informed them of topics of concern such as effects on habitat, spawning grounds etc. There have been no Environmental Impact Studies filed as of yet.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom,

Do you know of any Environmental Impact studies or Economic Impact studies going on at this point? Seems like the NYPA is trying to already push this off shore wind turbine thing into the request for proposal stage.

All the Environmental Studies I've done in the past have always taken place well in advance of any proposal phase, let alone the construction phase.

I could be wrong on that assumption. Call it distrust in state angencies.

Chris

Chris,

NYPA has claimed to have received 5 proposals that they are comptemplating. They are not releasing any details even though they have received "Freedom of Information" requests. They claim releasing anything will jeopardize their negotitations. They orginally promised public release of info during beginning of 2011. (Which obviously has passed)

NYPA hired TWS-Truewind to do a feasibility study a couple years ago and this formed a basis for their RFPs (Request for Proposals). No Environmental Impact Studies have been filed with the state as of yet.

Their contact with DEC has been generally to find out what topics would require study. Some are spawning grounds, fish habitat and exclusion zones.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks for clearing things up Tom. There's a lot of stuff I've been hearing about this, but just never know what to believe.

Info from you is as solid as anyone can get.

Thanks!