Handheld Radio

Hand helds are ok for an emergency backup option but not as a primary radio. The problem is, VHF transmissions are "line of sight" so the taller the antenna and the stronger the transmission, the farther you can transmit a distress signal.

Mounted radios are 25W and are typically attached to an 8' antenna. Hand helds are 5W and have a short antenna. They are really only useful IMO in a waterproof ditch bag so that if your boat suffers a catastrophic failure somewhere and sinks so you don't have access to your main radio, you MIGHT be able to raise someone on the handheld that is within direct line of sight to your position .

Don't and haven't owned one so I cannot recommend a good one.

Tim

I have one as a backup, as well. I have a Standard Horizon and, while it is fairly basic, it does a nice job. As mentioned above, their range isn't great, but in an emergency, I wouldn't want to be without one. Last fall, I was on shore talking to a friend who was on the water. He was about 1/2 mile out from shore and we were talking like we were next to each other. Weather conditions will affect your range, as well. Definitely worth the expense to have one, in my opinion, even if you never have to use it.

I HAVE 2 ON BOARD RADIOS AND A HAND HELD I FIRST BOUGHT THE HAND HELD I WAS ABLE TO LISTEN TO OTHER BOATS BUT THE TRANSMISION OUT WAS NOT THAT GOOD MY BUDDIE WAS LESS THEN 4 MILES AWAY I COULD NOT GET A HOLD OF HIM I CALLED HIM ON THE PHONE FOR A RADIO CHECK HE COULD NOT HEAR ME CALLING ON THE RADIO ,GOOD FOR LISTENING NOT GOOD FOR TRANSMITTING BOUGHT A BOAT WITH A RADIO IN IT BUT I HAD ALREADY HAD A GOOD RADIO SO NOW I HAVE 2 I LIKE THE FACT OF HAVING A BACK UP MAKES YOU FEEL A LITTLE BIT OF COMFORT WHEN OUT 20 MILES ON THE LAKE