Question about lake fishing

gokudl3

I was wondering if anyone new what the salmon and also trout not yet in streams or rivers are doing right now . Is there any way of catching fish in the lake right now ? I know spring is great fishing but can i find those fish now and if so , about where would they be , is it even worth trying ? I know most everyone has their boats out , but i am ready to go whenever its not frozen and if its worth trying ill be there . Im doing most my fishing at sandy right know and im doing good on browns by the first bridge casting and trolling , but i just want to change it up and maybe hook into a steelie , coho or nice jack . Ant info would be awesome , especially if anyone knows their patterns from now till spring , Thank you

We trolled for salmon all winter long in Puget Sound and there is an established winter salmon fishery in Kachemak Bay near Homer, Alaska. The key to the fishing is you need an enclosed heated boat. On Lake Ontario you also need to be aware of icing of your hull from spray and the fact that if you have a problem, there is no one ready to go out and help you. The fish could be anywhere in the water column but warm spots attract more fish. There is a sewage outfall east of Fort Niagara where the warmer water attracts brown trout like crazy. The safety factor is the most important consideration. Look at those mountain climbers on Mt. Hood and all the problems they caused.