Something Fishy ?

Hi all.

My brother inlaw and I fished out of Fairhaven up to Oswego in mid april last year and did very well for the two days we stayed. We are from the Boston area and its a one shot deal for us. The question I have is the taste of the Salmon and trout we caught compared to the fish we caught in2005 when we chartered a boat. We cleaned our fish right at the dock,kept them cool and froze them immediatly. It was a huge disappiontment when we got home to cook them. Very fishy tasteing. Nothing even close to 2005. Do any of you recommend to bleed them first? We do with certain saltwater fish. We are coming back soon as the lake conditions allow us. We love to fish and our familys love to eat them faster then we can catch them. Please any advise would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

The New England fools.

2005.jpg

2010_browns.jpg

2010_steelie.jpg

I bleed any fish I'm going to eat immediately after getting them out of the net. Cut the gills and throw them overboard on a rope for a few minutes before putting them in the cooler. It makes a BIG difference in taste. ;)

Also make sure when you clean them that you remove all the "dark" meat from the lateral line area on the filets, this contains fats and has a very "fishy" flavor.

They probably did this for you on the charter trip.

Thanks Bob.

We both don't remember the mate bleeding or doing anything to the fish in 2005. Looking at the top picture "2005" I would say no. I remember a cleaning station right where we took that picture. Those fish tasted amazing. I just dont understand the huge difference from then and last year. We will bleed them and gut them and rip there gills out ,and remove the dark meat from the lateral this year. I will let you know in about a month if that was the difference. Has anyone else noticed any difference in taste in the last 5 years?

Good advice guys!!

Any fish that we plan on eating we immediately gut the fish as stated above. I also remove the Kidneys (lots of blood in those organs) as well as what Bob mentioned above. A good fresh water rinse over the side is always good, and get them on ice immediately.

As for the filletting procedure, I also take my time and trim all the dark colored meat off the fillet (meat that is close or next to the skin) as well as the dark meat around the lateral line. This dark meat is very strong and fishy tasting. Also trim off any fat that you can see.

Of course any good Norwegian would hang me for doing that, as those parts are also rich in Omega 3 fish oils. lol But I like a non fishy tasting filet myself.

Two most important things I have found.

Never let the meat get warm, quickly under lots of ice.

Don't let the slime get on the meat, who wants to eat slime? blah

I am undecided about bleeding the fish. It does make filleting less messy. I have always done it so maybe I don't know the difference.

Trimming the fillets nice and clean is important as well.

Another suggestion too is not to mix trout and salmon fillets. Both have very distinct taste and mixing the fillets seems to make them all taste the same.

Good advice guys!!

Any fish that we plan on eating we immediately gut the fish as stated above. I also remove the Kidneys (lots of blood in those organs) as well as what Bob mentioned above. A good fresh water rinse over the side is always good, and get them on ice immediately.

As for the filletting procedure, I also take my time and trim all the dark colored meat off the fillet (meat that is close or next to the skin) as well as the dark meat around the lateral line. This dark meat is very strong and fishy tasting. Also trim off any fat that you can see.

Of course any good Norwegian would hang me for doing that, as those parts are also rich in Omega 3 fish oils. lol But I like a non fishy tasting filet myself.

But in the Great Lakes that oil or dark meat also holds a lot of the toxins and polutants and is the reason I trim it off.

On ice immediatly. After filleting I put in a bowl & flush w/ cold water & some salt . lay on wax paper over paper towel ,cover & set in fridge for a while or overnite. Firms them up & I like to grill them w/ lemon butter & dill. Trim anything that is not pink.

I WAS TALKING TO ONE OF THE CAPTAINS OVER HERE IN CONNEAUT A FEW YEARS AGO HE SAID THEY BLEED ALL THERE FISH WALLEYE,STEELHEAD IN ERIE.

AND THERE SALMON IN NY WHEN THEY COME OVER HIS WIFE YELLED AT ME /JOKEINGLY FOR NOT BLEEDING OUT MY WALLEYE ,AND STEELHEAD WELL I STARTED BLEEDING THEM BUT HAVE NOT GUTTED THEM YET IT MAKES A GOOD POINT I WILL TRY IT THIS YEAR.

I ALSO SPLIT MY FILETS IN HALF AS WELL SEEMS TO MAKE THOSE BIG FISH NOT TASTE TO BAD AT ALL

There is also a line of fat between the head & dorsal fin on the top of it's back, which is white, & has a noticeable " fishy "smell which is very strong compared to the rest of the fish. If your cooking the whole fish wrapped in tin foil, I remove this section, & it makes a world of difference tasre wise. It's very simple. I make a 1/2 cut from the head to the dorsal, & make a V cut down to the backbone, & remove it. It's a white color, & the smell is very strong. Definitely makes a big difference. Very simple, & only takes a few seconds. Even when you fillet a fish, you can see this white fat, & just a simple trim gets the job done.

Another suggestion too is not to mix trout and salmon fillets. Both have very distinct taste and mixing the fillets seems to make them all taste the same.

I'll take a Coho over a King any day for the table. On trout, stay away from Lakers and take Bows over Browns.