Boating to Wilson by way of the lake.

Got a question for the guys who run their boats to Niagara county by way of the lake. How long does it take you by water to get from Mexico or Oswego to Olcott or Wilson? I've always trailered my boat but was thinking about taking the lake this year.

Total Chaos

We do it every year and don't push too hard. Cruising we figure on 5hrs from Olcott to Oswego. I have done it solo and with a crew. The slight loss of fuel economy/ speed is well worth the trade for extra eyes and to spell you on watch. It is not an auto pilot type trip, monstrous logs will appear out of nowhere. This being said, it is a wonderful way to experience Lake O and see the varying shoreline beauty. You will want to have enough fuel capacity to make it to the Oak at least, as any other fuel stop will take you way off course. Good Luck!

Thanks Vince,

I've got a Mercury Verado 225 that cruises around 26mph. With a 125 gal tank the thing is supposed to have a 300 mile range so should be able to make it there without stops. I could trailer but thought it might be nice to run the lake once in my life.

Total Chaos

TC,

From the Oswego light to Wilson it is around 115mi. For best milage as soon as you leave Oswego you head across the middle of the lake and don't get close to land until Sandy Cr. It is an offsore trip to say the least and pretty boring, I usually get rods re-spooled and gear ready. Luckily with our boat we have enclosed cabin, otherwise I heard from other people it is a noisy ride, listening to a motor screaming for 5 hours. Plus depending on the time of year it can be COLD!

Just my observations........ I wish we could trailer it some times ;)

Andy, you know--"the grass is always greener". The way people drive on 104 and the thruway, I'm not sure what is less stressful! Anyways, you take the sand dunes and bluffs for granted, as well as the the shoreline from the Oak west to Willie. That shoreline west of your port to Ginna is beautiful, but I know, you've seen it a thousand times!

I know one thing, it sure is tough to run home after a mindblowing tourny on a Sunday evening, pushing hard so not much of it is in the dark! Oh yeah, and then have to run a trip on a Monday morning! I know you've been there! See you soon.

Was on the Lower Niagara River Sunday. Lot's of big logs from the flooding on Lake Erie streams. So all be careful. The logs seem to be water logged and just at the surface, hard to see. Lots of garbage and bags.