Time on Water: 1400 - 1700

Weather/Temp: Mostly sunny

Wind Speed/Direction: light

Waves: started at about 1 then dropped

Surface Temp: 37.7

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

One of these days I am actually going to have something good to write in here!

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

The Stony Creek boat launch was clear, and the short winding trip from the launch to the lake was uneventfull, but at the mouth of the creek there was planty of floating ice of manuever through. Managed to get through the ice cube field without too much difficulty and headed south with my Otter Boats diployed and a slection of four minnow baits (black and silver, purple, gold and orange jointed, perch jointed) speed was between 1.5 and 2, and ran the 10 foot contour down to Southwick Beach and turned around North and ran up to the point between Ray's and Sawyer Bays.

Temp stayed about 37 the entire trip (Too cold yet??) and not a single taker. The creek temp was 42.

Coming back in to the boat launch we were happy to see that our entire ice-cube field had melted away!

The boat worked fine, the equipment is all ship-shape, and my buddy and I enjoyed polite conversation and a few cigars. The only thing missing was a little "Catching" to go along with our fishing. Did not see another sole on the water the entire trip (Does everybody else know something I don't?).

Any advise will be well taken, and I will definitely keep at it. Persistance is what I think got me the small numbers of fish (steelhead and browns) that I did mange to luck onto last year. I am hoping that this year I can manage to crack the code on Spring fishing, as I did on fall Salmon finally last year. Mid Summer I am usually ovoiding the fleas and fishing for Bass with the wife (Her favorite passtime).

I've been itching to get out but this week the weather doesn't look like it's cooperating. I fished out of Stony early last year and caught one brown near Sandy. We dodged some ice and logs also. The water was very clear, til I got near the creek, where the water colored up and was warmer. I fished out of Mexico and Pine Grove and did very well down that way a little later in the year. We managed to catch limits of double browns, an Atlantic and a few lakers thrown in the mix. Water temperature and color seem to be the key. Need water that's not crystal clear and a few degrees warmer water really concentrates the fish. If you hit a fish work that area as there are likely more nearby. I had good luck on stingers spoons back between 100 and 150' in 5-15' of water. I'm going to try more sticks in real tight this year.

42 temp near the creek sounds like a good place to be near if everything else is 37 degrees. Creek mouths tend to be good this early.

Maybe I'll see you out there sometime! I've got an 18' Lund Alaskan and, as I said, usually launch at Stony, Pine Grove or Mexico. I also fish Black River, Henderson, and Chamount area for walleyes.

Hey Kevin, I would love to get some of your insights on Black River eyes in May. I have fished well up river (Carthage) for eyes in the Spring and have done OK, and have heard that in the mouth of the Black River Bay folks were killing them. I am also very interested in trying Calf Island at night. Fished Henderson for Smallies but never got into any eyes there.

My boat is a little similar in style to yours. My G3 is a 21 foot, Deep V, Walleye rig (Like a bass boat on steroids) that has a removable (Seat pedestal), dual reel, planer mast for my Otter Boats up front, and a pair of Big John Riggers mounted on swivels on the back corners. I use the integrated Big John rod holders on the riggers and I have 3 Ram rod holders mounted on each side. The Ram rod holders are a lot better than I expected, as I use those to hold wire Dipsey Rods in the fall when I target Kings and they work just fine. The best feature is all the technical fishing “Stuff†breaks down very easily and I have an awesome boat for Bass fishing with the wife.

Sounds like were set up very similarly. I also have 4 ram rod holders in a trac mount system. Also have dual crank planning board mast in front that goes into my pedestal mount. I have two Cannon electric riggers with dual rod holders. I also often run Off Shore inline planners. I agree that the boat is very versatile and I also fish bass, panfish and duck hunt out of my Lund. I had it in at Krings Point this morning perch fishing.

May is the month for Black River . I fish shallow with bottom bouncers and spinners and worms and farther out with deep running cranks. Mud Bay, Guffins Bay and Chamount Bay are also worth a try for walleye. I also fish the St. Lawrence a lot in the summer and do well on walleyes and run to Bay of Quinte in may and in the fall.

PM me your phone number and I'll give you a shout and we can talk specifics if you want.

Dave,when i do fish eyes,i usually troll the area along the barracks at sacketts,around Cherry island & guffins. head across the river over to the silos and get in real close to shore,watch your graph!!!...some big rocks in some spots.smithwick stick baits in black /silver belly..blue /silver belly..blue /white belly..rapalas also work well,as do reef runners in copper and clown.

get out there as early as poss.and move out deeper as the sun comes up.

Calf island is great(and more suited) for fall eye fishing as the bait comes in across that shoal.night jigging with buctail jigs and a worm is awesome,when a slight wind can drift you across the shoal at just the right speed(motor off for more stealth).a drift bag tossed over helps when the drift gets to fast.

i always add a stinger hook ,as eyes will often hit short.florocarbon leaders are extremely helpful.

off the light house15-30fow at Stoney point in May can produce some great eyes and browns .

good luck,

Mike M

ps....Thanks for serving! :yes:

Awesome information!!

I really appreciate your location and lure information. As a newby, I have spent many hours "Mowing the lake" trying to find what works and often there are just too many variables (Depth, speed, direction, line and lure selection, location, time, season, etc.) Although I am sure this is good for me and helps me to grow as a fisherman, sometimes you want to do some "Catching" along with your fishing. Thanks!