Seneca Perch Report...

Finders Keepers

Hit Seneca for the first time Sunday and hit the water at dark o' thirty at the north end. Started just south of Glass Factory Bay and worked our way south past Kashong Point. We casted drop shots with fatheads and rosies. Came up blank for the day. Saw quite a few other boats out, but didn't see a single fish landed. Spoiled by the fantastic perch fishing in Sodus, we were humbled by the experience.

So, if anyone familiar with fishing Seneca for perch would like to take me out and show me the ropes, I would be more than happy to return the favor with a king salmon trip on Lake Ontario (my team's main forte 8) ). Just shoot me a PM!!

Well, I did say I like a challenge. :$ But is it really that cut-throat on Seneca: all or nothing? Where are the dinks? I figured we would at least catch small fish, and the challenge would be cathcing the bigger fish, but we didn't see, catch, hear or taste ( :P ) anything other than our bait! Well, I have two weeks to figure it out before the Perchmaster's Tourney... 8)

Using your electronics, search for marks in 30 to 80ft; troll with gold or silver spoons or minnow replicas of any sort at those depths. You'll need downriggers or some way to get down there.... Often the fish will be jack perch, with other fish such as smallies or lakers there. This is at the north end, north of Belhurst. This works great in the summer and fall and it did work out here in the early spring for us while looking for lakers, while everyone was packed down by Dresden and other noted perch spawning areas catching spawnwers with traditional bait methods.

Wow... I launched at the Chamber of Commerce and fished almost everything south to Long Point yes 20 some miles give or take. Glass factory, south of Roy's across to Reeders, Officers club then north of Sampson. Down the lake to Long Point everything for about a half hour and DID NOT touch a single thing. God I love having a LUND because it wasn't very flat. Sure hope the fish turn on for next weekend because I'm not looking forward to another day of NOTHING, ZIP, ZERO , NADA.... hope the guys fishing the Seneca Lake Duck Hunters tourney found something !!!!

Hey guys..., don't get discouraged. My partner and I fished HARD all weekend, boated 1 on sat and 10 on sun. Fishing has been TOUGH all week. Cold, heavy northwest winds don't help. Spend time looking in 15-25 fow, a ton of fish are still deep, 45+. Don't forget fish must be alive for saturday's tourney if fishing deep h2o. Good luck!

Hey guys..., don't get discouraged. My partner and I fished HARD all weekend, boated 1 on sat and 10 on sun. Fishing has been TOUGH all week. Cold, heavy northwest winds don't help. Spend time looking in 15-25 fow, a ton of fish are still deep, 45+. Don't forget fish must be alive for saturday's tourney if fishing deep h2o. Good luck!

I'm not discouraged just humbled by the lack of activity. I fished from 10' to over 70' and didn't get a tap. If it was my first circus then it would be different but I've got a few hours under my belt on Seneca. It just makes sense coming off a Super FULL moon and a major cold snap that they would be in a negative mood. That being said ... over cast and light winds should make for some good fishing this weekend.

Steve

Hey Steve,

That's what we're hoping for!! We're not discouraged either, but being newbie's this year, we're not expecting to fill the Penn Yan with lunkers, but it would be nice to get some decent fish! Thank you to those who report on their trips and offer some tid bits of info! :yes:

After getting in late Sat. night and not sure if I was going, I did get up on next to no sleep . Was a good morning and ended up north of Sampson and shallow, boated over 80 + fish and with some culling brought home 60 nice fish. A lot of fish 12"+ and a dozen fish like this over 14" and almost 2lbs.DSC00815.jpg Co-worker had never fished Seneca for perch so I ruined him for awhile, now he wants to know when we can go back :rofl:

Steve