LEADERS

MY FAULT I WAS TALKING ABOUT LEADERS FOR TROLLING I WAS USEING 25LB VANISH AND THOUGHT I WOULD GO TO 20LB VANISH BUTTTTT .

I BOUGHT A NEW SPOOL OF 20LB STARTED TIEING TIED 12 AND I HAD 4 BREAK SOME AT THE KNOT AND OTHERS MID LINE

SO I WANTED TO TEST THE LINES SO I HAVE A SCALE WITH A MEMORY I FIRST TESTED 20 LB I TRIED 20 TIMES OR MORE AND EVERY ONE BROKE BETWEEN 12.25 AND 16.4 LBS THE HIGHEST TEST WAS 16.4 ONLY ONE TIME MOST WERE 14-14.5LB SOME KNOTS BROKE MOST WAS MID LINE THIS RULED THIS LINE OUT FOR ME FREE SPOOL OF 20 LB TO WHO EVER WANTS IT.

I THEN TESTED THE 25LB VANISH SAME THING TESTED IT 12 -15 TIMES IT ALSO BROKE EARLY LOWEST AT 16.9LB HIGHEST WAS 22.3 SOME BROKE AT THE KNOT

BUT BUT MOST BROKE AROUND 18-18.6 LBS SO I AM VERY SURE THAT THIS LINE JUNK TO ME . AS WELL I USED THIS FOR THE LAST FOR YEARS ON WALLEYE NO PROBLEMS BUT THEY ARE NOT 20-30 LB TORPEDOS EITHER

IF YOU CAN HELP ME WITH SOMTHING THAT WORKS BETTER LET ME KNOW

THANK YOU!!!

The problem is the line, vanish is very weak for one reason or another. Hi-seas makes a great product which is less money than seaguar another very popular and very good line company. As for # test 20-25 for salmon and 10-15 for browns work for me.

Get P line I use it for trolling and I use it for leaders for ice fishing pike I have more confidence in my leaders than my main line 15 on the small rods 20 on the bigger stuff

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I've had good luck with Triple Fish 25# floro line as leader on my rigger rods and cheaters. No break offs in 2 years. For browns and walleye I tried the Triple Fish 10#, it is junk and never even fished it. Tying the knots, they kept fraying and burning no matter how much I wetted them and broke easy. Tried Seaguar Invisx 10# line and like it. When I run out of TF 25#, I'll probably jump on the Seaguar wagon also, I haven't see the TF 25# in the stores since I bought it.

I've always been a Berkley guy and they have served me very well (not sure what problems Brian has had, but I've had nothing but great luck with Big Game, Trilene XT and Trilene XL) Berkley line is all I use. Now Stren on the other hand, that's a line you couldn't get me to use for anything.

However, apart from that, I absolutely agree that Vanish is junk, I've always had great luck with Seguar fluorocarbon.

Tim

I agree with Matt, I have switched over to High Seas for all my line & leaders. I use the 50 lb fluoro to tie all my fly rigs...every bit as good as Seagar (IMO), and cheaper too :yes: Knot strength is excellent. I use High Seas 12 lb fluoro for browns and 20 or 25 for kings.

http://www.hiseas.net/Leader_lnd_FL.asp

There is a reason they call Vanish "VANISH"! Its garbage and all your tackle and the fish you hook with it will "VANISH!"

You're cracking me up Paul! So true though :rofl:

40# fluro for fly leaders, #20 fluro for leadcore, #15 mono and #30 mono for rigger rods, #30 mono for dipsy leaders. I have had a problem with light fluoro breaking.

Back before fleas made it impossible, all I ever ran on my rigger rods was 12 lb Trilene XT on Penn 209 reels. Don't believe I ever had a break off. Super smooth drags are the key with light line like that I also think the slower retrieve on the Penn helped as it makes it tougher to horse a fish in.

Tim

If you are looking for a good performance line with out a big price give P-line Floroclear -- it is not pure florocarbon but it is strong and works great. 30#, 20#, 15#

Trilene florocarbon has served me well. 10#

Seguar is great put it is pricey.

Seems like when I have used Vanish, my fish and tackle seem to do just that -- Vanish.

We run 25lb McCoy Mean Green Mono on most of our set-ups, and leader down to 15 or 20 pound McCoy Flouro. Generally 15lb when using a spoon program, and 20lb when we are running paddles. On our BT set-ups we run 15lb McCoy Mean Green, and leader down to 8-10lb McCoy Flouro.

I stumbled onto McCoy products during my bass fishing days, and I was overly impressed with the strength and durability of their line. Lifting 4lb largemouth into the boat with 6lb test line that looked like it got hit by sandpaper really impressed me. That being said they are a small company on the west side of the country. Their line isn't cheap, but what is now a days. It looks like Bass Pro is starting to carry their line-up.

Take a magnifying glass and look at Vanish some time, and you will see variations in the thickness as you move along it. It"s JUNK! P-Line has served me well......10 to 12# in the Spring with a good reel/drag and medium/ to medium/ heavy action rod. Steve..........