If im trolling 4 rods this spring, would it be worth it to put a spin doctor and fly on one of my rods for cohos? If so, i would be pulling it on leadcore (i dont have riggers) so it would have to be kind of far off the back of the boat and not in the prop wash. Otherwise i would just be pulling sticks and spoons on leadcore for browns and steelies... Thanks guys!

I would recommend Luhr Jenson OO dodger in all orange with a peanut fly behind it for coho. Run it off a board. Until late June, steelies and coho can be found in the top of the water column. Boards with 1, 2, or 3oz of weight work good. If you run the core with the Spin Doctor, you may pick up a stray king.

Jason - there is generally a strong Coho bite right off the mouth of the Genny in April. Last Spring we crushed them on the same gear we were using for BT. If you dont want to get into the spin doctor game right now just throw some bright sticks and spoons at them. Greens, oranges, and pinks seem to be the best. Brad's thin fish are real popular in Michigan for Spring Cohos. They have an orange/red color guys do real well on.

Kings will bite your sticks too! We dropped a high teen fish off Charlote beach 2 Springs ago, and three Springs ago Legacy took one on our shakedown cruise on a stick. Spring Kings in your area are always a bonus in April.

is it me or do those little bastards look like steelies?

Its you. :o Cohos and steelhead are very different in appearance once you look beyond the initial coloration. Steelhead have a square tail that is completely covered with small spots lined up on the fin rays. Cohos have a slightly forked tail that is usually free of spots but carries the chrome color well into the tail itself. This is most evident on spring and summer fish.

Heads and mouths are different and easily to tell the two apart as well.