Offshore tackle side planers

I've used in-lines on Erie trolling deep crankbaits for walleye. Removed the rear clip and replaced it with a snap swivel so I didn't have to take the planer off to net a fish (I fish alone a lot). The planer slid all the way to the lure with a fish on and caused the swivel to cut the knot to the lure a few times. When I added a bead to the line above the knot, the problem was solved.

I enjoy using them and they worked good for the walleye in flat water or slight chop. I think you'd be better off with big boards in higher waves because these small boards can be hard to see in those conditions.

So I amvery new to this and I noticed you mentioned in-line planer boards. Does this mean you dont need a mast and the are reeled in with the fish? If so I havent been able to find anything like that at cabelas or bass pro. I dont want to buy a mast but I am not sure what other options are available.

Offshore Tackle makes an in-line planer board that you attach to your fishing line after the drop-back is complete. Then you release more line from your reel and the board swims to the side as far as you desire. They come in both port and starboard models. When a fish is hooked, the board is pulled back and movesbehind the stern of your boat. You fight the fish toward the boat until you can remove the board, then continue until landing the fish.

Most tackle supply sources carry them. There are other brands available also.

I use the Off Shores and they work great. Can be fished everything from spoons, sticks, cranks, spinner and worms and even will take some deeper presentations like wire, drop weights and lead core. Stagger the drop backs, running longer on outside boards will avoid most tangles. Deadly on spring browns and deeper fall walleyes. Can easily run three per side. I've got a mast but when fishing by myself or with a buddy, I generally run Off Shores as they are somewhat easier to handle. It's not to hard to learn to use them. I prefer to leave rear clip in place and unclip them at the boat instead of rigging them to slid. ( just my preference) I always have them on the boat!