In-hull transducer vs thru-hull

I can't get past the idea of drilling a hole in the bottom of the boat, so I am considering a airmar in-hull transducer. I have two previous epoxy spots that appear to be previous transducer spots from past owners. Does anyone have experience with these type of transducers and can offer insight about how well they show bottom, bait, hooks when up on plane? Should I mount over the old epoxied locations? My boat is a bayliner '88 and there is a sticker that says marine core on the transom, but not sure on the type of materials the transducer would be shooting thru.

Dear Gill-T,

The good performance of thru thru-hull transducers is neccessary for proper screen operation especially at planing speeds...20 mph & faster.

JUST mount the thru-hull transducer on a stern bracket as close to the center vee as possible and angle it 3 or 4 degrees forward. The lead edge of the ducer must be as close as possible to the stern. Facing the ducer slightly forward keeps clean undisturbed water against the ducer face and will give you an excellent picture. I did this on my 23' Jet Boat because I do travel thru very shallow water. I also mounted the ducer with nylon screws so they will shear instead of damaging my 10 lb. color $500 transducer. This also allows for easier trailer loading & unloading on rocky bottom.

I have never seen a inside hull transducer put out a good "picture" Running at 25 mph and getting a good picture so you can see pods of bait is the smart way to fish. Especially with fuel in the $4.00/gallon!

Respectfully submitted....Jet Boat Bill

This is what I am contemplating. I have two already prepped previous in-hull locations to choose from. For $58 bucks for a lowrance (what they call) a thru-hull transducer (actually an in-hull) I could swap between transducers by changing the plug on the back of the unit. I don't have much space for a second unit so this would solve that problem. If these in-hull transducers don't show bait when up on plane, then there is no reason to purchase. I understand you will lose 10% power going thru fiberglass...and back but with an LCX unit what does that translate to?

Could someone with a shoot thru transducer tell me if hooks and bait show up on their unit under cruising speed? Thank you.

I just purchased a Humminbird998c-si unit and bought the quad beam for shoot-through, but decided to thru-hull it instead. Question: can the mounting sides be ground down or should I keep them on for mounting? I am also running the 20-60 degree with the side imager on the transom. I purchased an A-B switch so I can switch between the transducers. eg:Dual beam with S.I. to quad beam only. Thanks for advice! Steve..........."1990 Pennyan Tempest"

I had great luck with a shoot thru hull transducer on a X19 LCX on a 25 amberjack I owned. It was mounted between the twin I/O's and the spot where it was mounted was ground down. It was a great picture, I would say almost as good as my thru hull I have in my current boat. One thing to consider is do you want or need surface speed and temp? You will need an external transom mount sensor to add those features with a shoot thru. I would do some research and look into an airmar transducer as they are the best and almost all manufacturers have airmar build there transducers.

If I had to choose however drill the hole and mount the transducer. Done correctly and there are no after affects.

Call Jim at BOE Marine in Maryland he is the expert in transducers and electronics.

866 735 5928 www.boemarine.com

Good Luck

You guys are kidding yourself to think an in hull will even be close to a thruhull. In most cases your only talking about 4 to 600 watts anyway. You certainly don't want to use up your gain just to get through the hull. With the new tilted element ducers they sit flat lettuce maybe an eighth and requre no fairing block to install. If your a serious or even want to be serious angler leave the in hull ducer alone. Not to mention all the jargon with cored hulls and what not. We have what you need for any ff for $239.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I can vouch for the new tilted element transducers. Answer to our prayers. Picture a flush "eye" looking down from the bottom of your hull. Can be ordered in many angles to fit your hull and mounting location. Besides easy installation and doing away with a fairing block, you will no longer have a protrusion causing drag. I will be installing a second one next week.

• 1 month later...