Fish Hawk X4

Mike523

I have a Fish Hawk X4 that I need to put on my boat before putting it in the water. Im out at point breeze. Any tips on install? The directions look staright foward but I'm also considering having it installed by someone that knows more about it. Thanks, Mike :beer:

Mike, I have installed several of them. Is your boat Glass or Aluminum? I suggest if it is Glass, mounting the transducer near centerline. Mount it flush with the bottom of the hull, so it is somewhat protected from being destroyed by the many pieces of wood that are floating around out there. You can mount it directly to the transom, or install a transducer block and mount it to that. Caulk the drilled screw holes with 3m 5200. Run the cable through the transom ABOVE the waterline, through an existing access hole if possible.

Route the transducer cable in such a way that it wont get cut or pinched. Keep the display up at the helm,out of the weather.

If you have difficulties, look for my Blue/Gray GMC pickup at the Point the next week to 10 days, as I am storing there.

Hey Capt Vince, what would you do differently for installation on an aluminum boat? I have a 17' Tracker I hope to install my new X4 on this weekend.

I can't decide where the display will fit best. The helm on a 17' doesn't have much room for electronics. I won't be able to fit it behind the windshield and hate to locate it on the port side console. I am leaning towards mounting it with a RAM mount next to the helm on the inside of the gunwale just in front of the throttle.

The X4 came with a rain cover that protects the screen, but the cover leaves the back exposed. I have never had a problem with my electronics being damaged by water exposure. Do I need to be more careful with the X4 and water?

Has anyone figured out a way to mount the X4 to a RAM mount without using the plastic base it comes with? I haven't come up with a solution that won't hack up the back of the display housing.

Thanks

In most Aluminum hulls, the drain hole is dead center at the bottom of the transom. If you don't already have a transducer block on your transom you should consider one.

Your helm area mounting challenges are a common one on aluminum boats. Although the readout isn't touted as waterproof, it disconnects in seconds from the base. Your idea of mounting it on a ram sounds reasonable.

Am I correct in saying the reason you want to mount the transducer at or near the centerline is to get the sonar cone in the middle of the boat? That would allow you to run the probe off either side without signal loss in the event a rigger went down.

The display on the X4 is pretty large Big Dave. I think I could mount it next to my MinnKota in the bow and have no problem reading it.