Understanding Fronts

so im starting to get lunar patterns down, now I just have a few questions with fronts...

I know cold fronts make fishing real difficult especially for musky but ive read that before the cold front pushes in the action can really turn on...how long before though? is it like just as the storm is pushing in or hours before or the day before? If say youre in the middle of July and youre out on an 80 degree day fishing and a t-storm is pushing in but there isnt necessarily a temp. change, does this still affect the fish the same way a cold front would? thanks for any help

Larry turned me on to this- its all about barometric pressure changes. Pressure changes trump moon phases anytime but on a day with no wind shifts or barometer changes then I think moon times become more important. Watch the barometer and this will show you when things change. If a t-storm comes in usually you get a change in pressure and the fish will often feed. Because they fed heavily, the next day or two may suck for fishing but it will return. If a cold front comes through it may shut the fish down for even longer b/c of temp changes. Similar but different. Have fun trying to figure this whole thing out.

The best fishing for muskies is on a falling barometric pressure.I like from 29:95 to 28:85,always get bigger fish hitting then.But if your on one of those consant high pressure periods where the baometric pressure has been above 30:10 to 3:20 for a few days in a row,just the slightest barometric pressure move or wind increase can trigger a fast feeding window.The same fast feeding window is on again off again in short duration as winds speed up and then slow back down.

Here is another good read for you.

http://www.learninghowtofish.com/pages/ ... eather.php

Capt. Larry

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a question that sort of goes along with this....sorry to hijack Ronix....

What do you guys use to measure the barometric pressure?

I bought this handheld one a couple years ago and it seemed to never change pressure...even through a storm.

Sometimes I would check with a weather website to get the current reading but that is kind of hard to do while out on the water (I don't have a fancy phone :( )

1524721_10200632_t.jpg

tigerhunter....there are MUCH bigger ones in there!!!(let the big girls go tho).I too bought a hand held model and it seems very sensitive.Easily bumped and knocks it off.I more than likely will be @ conesus,might even stay the nite who knows.

sol

ditto on what sol said! they get a lot bigger in there...I was reading in a DEC report they found a 56' tiger dead that choked itself on a nice lil walleye so they are growing in there! not to mention its got a fair share of 20-25lb northerns as well

Mike- weather channel on the ship to shore radio gives barometer. Have fun with the fronts this year, lol! Some people down in Ohio were saying their handhelds sucked and never changed also. Just when you think you know a little bit about fishing- you realize your just a rookie compared to the great ones! I am like a sponge on everything Larry says and you should be also. My catch rates have really improved since I started listening to him. Follow his advice and yours will start to improve.