anywhere local to get some decent gear?

is there anywhere in the rochester area where you can get some quality pike/muskie gear? I know the demand is limited but even if I could find a place to get some decent fluoro leaders/lures? I know dicks in henrietta has some musky lures and gander has maybe 6 lures total...bass pro has some stuff but their fluoro leaders have huge swivels and locks on them idk how I feel about that...any recommendations?

Ronix, iceshanty.com has this bait shop map which is a great resource. If you know of bait & tackle shops which are not on this map you can add them.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 4f07e7&z=7

I have a tackle shop in mind for you but I can't remember the name of it, I'll figure it out and get back. I suggest you ask Capt. Larry, he seems to know everybody in the Esox game in Western New York. Also you could contact the NMA, Jon MacSwan or Tony Scime. I know the NMA has members in the Rochester area but I haven't attended their meetings in 15 years since moving to the southern tier. Those guys will know where the goodies are.

Ronix 51, You should join the Niagara Musky Assoc. Inc.,I know it is so far from Rochester! But at the NMA Meetings on the 1st Tuesday of the month at the Knights of Columbus Hall on Main Street in the City of Tonawanda at 7:00 pm,as a member(cost $20 a year),Knipex Cutters $40,Beckman Magnum Finsaver Net $80,Stringese Stay-Lok Shaps,Treble Hooks,Muskie Leaders,Measure Sticks are sold by the club cheap.There is always muskie lure vendors with sales on lures etc.. at every meeting.

Another good place to be is Howard Wagners Spring Fling this coming Saturday down in Frombell,PA,1/2 way between Pittsburgh & Erie,Pa off I-79,you can ride along with me if you can get to my house in Buffalo by 5:00 am.

Then eBay is a good place once you know what to buy.

Capt. Larry

Ronix, I'm thinking of Chet's hunting and fishing on Niagara Falls Boulevard in north Amherst. I'm pretty sure, if memory serves after 15 years that this is the guy I'm thinking of. Capt. Chet Beyer. He was in the NMA back then and opened the tackle shop which was well stocked with muskie stuff. Ask Capt. Larry, he would know more than me. If I'm right then this place would be worth the drive.

Stinky Finger, Chets Tackle and all the rest of the Tackle stores that had muskie tackle in the Buffalo Area are all closed.Closest tackle store with any sizable amount of muskie tackle is Happy Hooker Bait Shop on Route 394 going into Lakewood,NY down by Chautauqua Lake.Other then that is the NMA ,Internet Musky Stores or eBay!

Capt. Larry

Stinky Finger, Chets Tackle and all the rest of the Tackle stores that had muskie tackle in the Buffalo Area are all closed.Closest tackle store with any sizable amount of muskie tackle is Happy Hooker Bait Shop on Route 394 going into Lakewood,NY down by Chautauqua Lake.Other then that is the NMA ,Internet Musky Stores or eBay!

Capt. Larry

That's too bad :( Caps on Transit rd was good and Rainbow sports on Niagara st. as was Redwood Ranch in Bemus Point. I can walk to Happy Hooker from the cottage at Chautauqua. Definitely the best place to go. Hogan's Hut by the ferry in Stow is good too.

what about the gander mountain out there? when i was at UB I remember they had a decent selection (compared to other ganders) of esox gear...im not sure if its still any good or not I remember someone saying they supply red october baits?

Ronix, if you can give me a week to get supplies I can make all of your leaders for cost. Nothing locally for good snaps or swivels as I have looked everywhere. Mail order baby! Only stringease and heavy swivels for me.

Gander Mtn Tonawanda use to have two full ailes of muskie lures when my son Nelson was the store manager in 2008. After he left the stores muskie area got smaller and smaller,now it has about 6' X 4' area of Bucher,Storm,Muskies Inovation,Double Cowgirl's and Red October Tubes and that is about it.

Basspro in auburn is starting to step up with musky stuff.Along with a bunch of lures they also carry a couple lakewood tackle boxes.Each year they seem to get more stuff.As far as the nma meetings...i went last month and plan on going again,maybe not next tuesday `cause we have the banquet in buffalo on the 5th then the following week it`s off to st.cathrines for the odyssy.So two trips in and through buffalo may be enough for me for the week(gas is gonna hurt-still may go though!!).I live in williamson and its not that bad to drive out and back,kinda a long day at work on wed but worth it.i think we left around 930pm(up for work by 5am).

sol

ronix, zach is right on about making your own leaders. buy a roll of seaguar flouro and hardware and go to it...cheaper in the long run, you never have to go without and always have the exact lengths you prefer.

good to hear about the lakewoods at BPS...thats a really good sign.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png