Newbie need help

So I am looking to get out the spring for some of the great action I keep hearing about. It my first year wih a new 19ft Tracker deep V with 150HP optimax. I am looking for the basic equipment I should be buying. So far I am looking at a couple Diawa Depthmasters and some 8' trolling rods. I have 10 or 12 dipsies andsome spoons. Should I get some flashers and flies as well? Also, any suggestions on what size reel or what pound test I should be running? I dont have downriggers yet but I hear you dont need them in the spring. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I realize with this setup I wont exacty be decked out, but I am looking to get out this spring and maybe get a few fish.

Downriggers will definitely help. You could run just dipseys and catch some fish but riggers will give you more versatility and depth coverage.

If you're just running divers you should look into longer diver rods. They will allow you to run longer leaders.

For line, 20# mono or 30# braid will get you started with your divers but, like I said two 8 ft. rods loaded with 20# on riggers will help you a lot.

Get a selection of spoons from a local tackle shop or someone else that knows what you're fishing for----NOT Gander Mtn or Dicks. Great Lakes Tackle shop is a sponsor here and carries everything you could possibly need. Don't worry about flashers and flies for right now although you will want some for the summer.

As to location.....your best bet (and easiest fishing) will be the Western end of the Lake from the mouth of the Niagara to Olcott in the month of May. You will learn a lot very quickly there. You might also consider an on the water class with an experienced captain. A 15 year learning curve can be shortened drastically with one or two days of on the water instruction with someone that does this for a living. PM me for details.

Good luck.

You'll probably need a couple trolling bags to slow your speed and keep your rpm up on the outboard (burns cleaner and keeps oil pressure up)

Daiwa Accudepth Plus reels a good value and hold up well, Daiwa Heartland or Shimano TDR rod are a good choice and won't break the bank. I've gone to shorter rods (7') and like them, there are plenty of guys who like the longer rods, I find the short rods handle easier in a smaller boat.

A good Spring tactic is to run your lures away from the boat. The simplest way is long (150'+) flat lines behind the boat. You can run more rods and a better spread using planer boards. I prefer a mast and ski setup but smaller size inline boards are cheaper and easier to set up.

You can use relativly light line (10-12 lb) for stickbaits (F9, F11 Rapalas...Thuderstick Jr...Smithwick Rouges are good coices) and spoons (reg size Stingers, NK28s or EvilEyes are good choices

20 - 25 lb test mono will let you use your dipseys in shallow water...65lb braid or better yet 30lb wire will let you use your dipseys as the fish move deeper. (2 or 3 wire dipsies are a good option if you don't have downriggers, and you'll use them after you get some riggers)

You'll need rod holders, Tite Loks are inexpensive and will do what you need, later on, two heavier holders should be added for your deep dipseys ( I like Berts)

There is definetly a place for Dodgers/Flashers and flies but they will come into their own later in the season, a good selection of darker and lighter colored sticks and spoons (use several split shot to keep spoons down) will catch a lot of fish in the spring

good luck, Joe