help on cayuga

new member here. Ive been up to cayuga twice so far this yr the first time got skunked second time wehich was yestrday caught one landlock in 30 ft of water long lining a rapala south of taugnhcanock.. Im new to fishing for trout and salmon this way but was wondering if its possible to have a good day of fishing trolling this way or do you guys think it would be better to try some jet divers or something that would get my lure down alittle farther. the rapalas im using now dive down around 10ft and im really not sure if this is deep enough any help would be appreciated.

Yesterday, Wednesday 3/30, was tough fishing for 'negative' fish w/ a north wind (never good in my book). We got way too many juvenile LLs on flat lines & short cores. Our deeper presentations were pretty quiet save for a few browns and one laker. Our 1 double of the day came just minutes too late as Frisco had just motored away from us after checking in to see what we were up to. Best action was east side from T -Falls to Myers out in 150-250 FOW. A lot of the bait is still locked up out deep & water temps have actually dropped to 36.5-37.5. Ice water was flowing out of T-falls.

Dinghy10, in March the whole water column is one temp and the fish are often pretty scattered. I'd be happy to take you out and show you how I cope with this situation (maybe the fish will even be in an 'active' mood). You absolutely need to broaden the depth range you are fishing. If you don't have riggers you may want to consider a slide diver set up and or a lead core rig or 2. Snap weights on your flat lines are another alternative. No matter which one of these tools seem to be suited to you, you will want to get a pair of inline boards to take some of your lines out 100' to the sides of your boat. They are simple to use and the learning curve is short. -Andy

thanks for the quick replys guys.. and for the offer chowder as of right now me im fishing out of my buddys boat a 14 foot grizzly with a ten horse but neither of us have much experince trolling. I actually grew up on cayuga my dad having a cottage just 2 miles north of long point on the east side but never really got in to the hole trout fishing up there. i understand the whole planer board thing seeing how me and my buddy tryed to run four lines last time just letting them out at different distantes but after the first tangle we just cut it down to two lines. Were heading out today around noon to see what we can get into ill post a report later .. thanks

dINGY10 SMALL SMITHWICKS BLACK AND SILVER HAVE BEEN HOT FOR US. USE MINI BOARDS AND STRECH THEM BACK 125 FT TO 150 FT BACK. WE RAN 3 INLINE BOARDS OFF EACH SIDE AND TWO SMALL DIVERS. BOARDS TOOK ALMOST ALL THE BITES. SPEED IS IMPORTANT AS WELL. OUR BEST SPEED HAS BEEN 1-8 2-2 ON THE SURFACE. I NORMALLY START AT THE CROWBAR WHICH IS JUST PAST THE CLIFFS( TO THE RIGHT OF T-FALLS LAUNCH.) 80-250FT OF WATER HASNT SEEM TO MATTER. WHEN YOU FIND A FEW STAY ON THEM CIRCLE BACK AND GO THROUGH THEM AGAIN. WE WENT 2 WEEKS AGO AND WENT 27-34 IN LITTLE OVER 3 HOURS. GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES ALL FISH WERE RELEASED.

thanks for the info guys went out today from 1 to 4 trolled south to from taughcannock with no hits then on the way back up my buddy got a nice 26 in lake trout and that was it for us... try something alittle diffrent to day had a 2 ounce weight on a 3 way swivel to get my lure down a little farther and thats what picked up the one and only fish of the day.. Cigs 187 that cliff is were we caught the laker today and the salmon last trip i think maybe we should start trolling further south seeing thats where the only two fish that weve caught have been and we usually turn around by there.. I went and looked today at gander for them planer board i seen them for 30 dollars but hering u say u were trolling with mini ones i might hace to look into those.

One thing about even the Off Shore reg size inlines is that they do put a fair amount of strain on your line. Ideally I think the Off Shore boards are better suited to a little heavier line & rod than I use for my flat lines which is the Eagle Claw light 7'6" w/ 8lb test. I did lose a heavier fish on Ontario once when my line broke between the strain of the fish and the board going under but never on the FLX. I do like the Off Shore regular size b/c it will pull short cores too. I think the mini board was introduced w/ light spinning type tackle in mind, not sure if they will pull a short core or not but it seems like they probably would - maybe somebody will chime in on this.

We didn't do much better Wednesday, we boated only 8 fish. We stayed deep to avoid the small LLs. I try to stay home on bright sunny days with the lake flat but it's been 3 weeks that I haven't been on the lake so it was still a good day. Six lakers, 1 LL, & a pickeral on the flats. We found the flats unproductive and that was the reason for going to Cayuga hoping to find some browns in shallow water.