xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kahuna

Take the 22.

I fish from a 19 footer with open bow . It is just not big enough to take the bigger waves that Lake Ontario throws at you.I always have to be very careful about when it is safe to go out with my little boat. The Islander with its closed bow and the extra 3 feet will give you a lot more stability and much more fishing time than the 19 footer.

Take the 22. It may depend on the type of fishing and how much of it you want to do but its more a question of how much better the extra 3 feet will handle as opposed to how much more space. We have had so much wind the last few years you will be able to get out more and stay out longer in a 22.

The 22 is much bigger than 3 feet, kinda. It has much higher freeboard, and thats a big deal when it kicks up. I have had every size starcraft from 12, 14, 16, 19, 22, and now im on the best one and thats a 26! You will never regret the extra room of the 22.

The 22 w/hardtop was my first Lake O boat. A very dry, strong boat. You will appreciate the extra length and you will learn boat operation in heavier seas real quick. I appreciate the knowledge I acquired for boat handling from that 22 footer.....enjoy :yes:

There is an additional thing that you should find out about.Boats over 20 foot length have different safety regulations from those under 20 feet,also something to do with insurance.Surely some members on this board know the differences.

The motor box takes up a lot of the space on the 19 so go for the 22. As time moves forward these other boats become older and older but there are also 22s in Lunds, Crestliners, Sylvans, Sea Nymphs and Princecrafts. They have just been discontinued over time by their manufacturers. I owned a 22 Sylvan for 7 years, it was very deep and could handle 3 or 4 guys fishing.

I want to thank you guys for responding so quickly and giving me the information that I needed to make a decision. I'm going with the 22'. Not only will it have more space in the cockpit, but something I didn't think of, it will ride in the water easier and be able to take the rough water better. Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,

John

Another vote for the 22 footer. I've been out in a 19 footer in some pretty snotty weather and will never go backwards. Had my Islander 221 in 4-5 footers last year after a storm came out of nowhere and I never felt unsafe or fear we wouldn't make it back to port. Very solid and secure-feeling boat.

• 1 month later...

If you find a good 19', I wouldn't hesitate for one sec. Had mine out in in some really bad stuff & no problems at all. Same free board as the 22'. 'It's not the size of the sea, it's the motions of the mariner'. Great boat either way! -Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly Starcraft ended production of the Islander series with the 2010 model year. The 221 in either the I/O or Outboard versions were both available. If I am not mistaken that was the last of the cuddy cabin aluminums of that class following sea nymph, crestliner, lund and sabreliner. Now if you don't mind paying an arm and a leg you can purchase a new Hewescraft or other west coast boat of that type and still have a hardtop pilothouse type aluminum boat.

I just purchased a 1987 22 ft islander hardtop on memorial day and i love this boat. I can fish in bad weather and stay dry and warm and out of the wind.It takes the rough water very well and i feel very safe in it.Best boat ive owned yet. Did i mention i love this boat? Good luck and enjoy!

• 1 year later...