Proposed Otisco tiger size limit

This summer DEC will officially propose raising the size limit on Otisco tigers to 40 inches. This will be followed by a public comment period and if all goes according to plan, the new regulation will take effect in 2012.

DEC diary angler cooperators caught 26 tigers ranging in size from 17 to 39 inches last year. 18 were caught from open water and 8 were caught through the ice. 96% (25 out of 26) were released.

DEC believes that Otisco has the potential to be a quality fishery and that : 1) this change will benefit the resource and 2) anglers will support this change.

Finally! They have been talking about making it a trophy tiger fishery for at least a couple years now. Glad to see it moving ahead, but I personally would like to see the number even higher than 40.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I would highly support this as would all the guys I fish with. I spend the majority of my time fishing at Otisco and it seems that I can catch as many as I want between 14-29" but all of the 30"+ fish were caught by people who take everything home to eat and have no regard for the people who fish for the sport of it like my buddies and I do.

If it gets changed to 40" I think it would help so much, it seems if a fish is caught that is over 30", it is kept. Please keep us posted with any news or updates so we can turn Otisco into a true trophy fishery.

The Tiger Musky is a good predator of smaller perch and keeps the lakes biomass in check. Too many of our youngsters do not take fish home to eat and we are ending up with masses of stunted down perch and others. The end result is a boom and bust fishery where all the future year class recruitments of all species are destroyed and the fishing is ruined except for occasional burst of good fishing. These seven to ten year cycles of good years of fishing are not needed.