Owasco Region 7 Diary Info Owasco

The guys at region 7 were nice enough to send me the information for the diary program in 2010. I fail to turn in my info in 2010 for region 8 and 7, no real good reason I just got so busy on the boat my record keeping sucked. We have a new system set up on the boat this year and so far all fish have been recorded. I wish I would have in 2010, a lot more rainbows would have been recorded. I see on Owasco only two rainbows were recorded :o . Also I see no more walleyes have been stocked since 2009 in the lake, and a 50% stocking reduction in Lake Trout happened in 2010. This is to aid in the recovery of the fisheries for brown trout and rainbow trout. I hope it works out. I know I am going to miss the walleyes it was nice to have a place to go catch them. That said I can see why they are doing what they are doing. Sean

Sean, I am pleased that you are keeping diaries this year. With the number of fish that you catch, I truly appreciate the extra effort involved. The data reported will be very valuable.

I caught one of the reported rainbows and it was also the biggest. All that sounds pretty good except with only two reported it is in fact dismal.

Owasco only had 11 diary keepers in 2010- the lowest number since the program started in 1966. Even if you only fish Owasco once or twice a year, everyone should consider particpating in the diary program. Region 7 will let you record your Owasco trips in the same diary used for Cayuga, Scaneatles and Otisco.

I've got records up till 1999 , then I quit , because I was so angry of the stocking of the walleye and the impact it had on my brown trout and rainbow trout fishing along with the look the other way attitude concerning the water conditions.

They even close down a tributary for the walleye to spawn , which used to be a favorite smelt haunt.

The fishing for browns and rainbows was insane back then ,prior to my last good year 1999, even the stream fishery

Spring and Fall was awesome.

I grew up fishing this lake and I'm thankful for my dad showing me all that there was to enjoy about it.

Lake is nothing what it was prior to 2000 and I believe we'll never see fishing on that lake the same again.

I haven't touched a brown or bow since then , just lakers and very few walleyes , never had to fish another lake it was so good.

Was a diary cooperator since the early 80's.

Did hear of good reports of the browns bouncing back somewhat last spring in the 2-4lb. class , one can only be hopeful I guess. :)

I did catch about 9 or 10 browns last summer. Most of them about a mile north of Ensenore and all in the 4 pound range. This was during a 2 day at our cottage in July and most of them over 120 feet of water at about 45 foot down.I remember thinking at the time that they must be hooking up to schools of saw bellies.All except for one that had damaged gills because of the lure were released.

I think a lot of guys who kept diaries felt that the DEC wasn't really addressing their concerns about Owasco when the Browns and Rainbows started disappearing. Another words why keep a diary if the people who interperet the info tell you there wasn't a problem? A number of long time diary keepers were basically ignored when they told the DEC and others numerous times that there were several things impacting fishing negatively on Owasco ten years ago. I had a local guide/self-proclaimed expert tell myself and a bunch of other people how good the trout fishing was even after several sub-par years for Browns and Rainbows. I think he suggested we learn new techniques or some other B.S. Most guys who have fished this lake for 30 yrs or more for all species (not just lakers) knew the quality was declining. So if people who go to the trouble of keeping Diaries aren't taken seriously they tend to find better fishing on another lake. Which they have. Compared to virtually all the other Finger Lakes, Owasco has been way behind the times in terms of tourism, protecting the watershed, providing services, etc. Last time I checked we had 1 bait shop at the south end of the lake. Free DEC state launches on most other lakes. Not Owasco, 7 bucks or whatever it is now for the priviledge of subpar fishing. Local politicians have somehow failed to realize that Owasco Lake is Cayuga County's most valuable resource. I hope someday the fishing will return to what it was, but it seems like most people are ok with the status quo.

I think a lot of guys who kept diaries felt that the DEC wasn't really addressing their concerns about Owasco when the Browns and Rainbows started disappearing. Another words why keep a diary if the people who interperet the info tell you there wasn't a problem? A number of long time diary keepers were basically ignored when they told the DEC and others numerous times that there were several things impacting fishing negatively on Owasco ten years ago. I had a local guide/self-proclaimed expert tell myself and a bunch of other people how good the trout fishing was even after several sub-par years for Browns and Rainbows. I think he suggested we learn new techniques or some other B.S. Most guys who have fished this lake for 30 yrs or more for all species (not just lakers) knew the quality was declining. So if people who go to the trouble of keeping Diaries aren't taken seriously they tend to find better fishing on another lake. Which they have. Compared to virtually all the other Finger Lakes, Owasco has been way behind the times in terms of tourism, protecting the watershed, providing services, etc. Last time I checked we had 1 bait shop at the south end of the lake. Free DEC state launches on most other lakes. Not Owasco, 7 bucks or whatever it is now for the priviledge of subpar fishing. Local politicians have somehow failed to realize that Owasco Lake is Cayuga County's most valuable resource. I hope someday the fishing will return to what it was, but it seems like most people are ok with the status quo.

There is a free launch in Owasco Park in Auburn and there is another free one halfway down the lake on the west side due east of Scipio Center road.This one has good acces and good parking,but it is rather shallow. The one bait shop on the south end sells dreamweaver super slims!

As for way behind the times.I like it that way.Let the tourists with their jet fleas and other weekend warriors go to Cayuga and leave me in peace at my cottage!

That would be Emerson Park and the North End and the launches there are only free til May.........and the one that down on the West side off the lake that is free is more like an access vs. a launch....and parking? not much, you can get some trailers in there.

;)

Vic

Anyone who tells you that the water quality in the lake hasn't deteriorated is full of sh*t. There are definitely not the browns or rainbows in the lake that there used to be because of the high phosphate and nitrogen levels in the lake. I understand that OWL is placing a buoy in the mouth of Dutch Hollow Brook to monitor the phosphate levels coming in to the lake. There are numerous dairy farms that surround Dutch Hollow and most believe it is the biggest contributor of phosphates into the lake.

The stream fishing used to be incredible in the spring, however, now you'd be lucky to catch a rainbow by using dynamite. The watershed inspector that was hired (to the tune of $60k a year) to monitor water quality has done little to nothing in the last 4 or so years to curb the issues contributing to the decline in the lake. Pretty much all she wants to do is harass people who build homes along the lake and nothing to the farmers who spread tons of manure who are the real culprits behind a lake that is mostly dead.

A major source of pollution in the Owasco watershed was the Village of Groton Waste Water Treatment Plant. One of their customers, Fingerlakes Aquaculture, was contributing up to 120,000 gallons of waste water (including fish poop) to the WWTP each day. As a result, the treatment plant was exceeding their capacity and in violation of their NYS permits. DEC stepped in and worked with the Village to increase the capacity of the WWTP and set strict disharge limits (especially for phosphorus).

I think the problem was identified around 2006 or so and that the upgrades to the plant were put into place around 2009. At any rate, a major source of pollution has been removed from the Owasco watershed.

Rolmops....I also live on Owasco Lake, last 20yrs or so.....The lake is already crowded with jet ski's and pleasure boats every weekend all summer. As much as I don't like the traffic....they have a right to be there too, same as fisherman. Owasco hasn't lost the party barge crowd or jet ski enthusiasts...they have lost fisherman and fishing revenue due to poor management of the lake over the last decade. The State Park in Owasco is around $80 yearly for season launch pass....South end $72 last time I checked. Far from free. Ensenore launch is very difficult in low water conditions or for larger boats and parking limited. I remember how good this lake was. It needs to be a priority to return it to what it was. Unfortunately I don't think the local government sees it that way. Many of their projects like restoring downtown and trying to attract businesses or industry have had pretty feeble results. But here you have one of the most beautiful natural tourist attractions in your back yard and it's neglected to the point where beaches close down due to water quality and on and on. Just seems like other counties care for, manage and utilize the other Finger Lakes a whole lot better.

I trailer up to Owasco two or three times a year and when I got old ;( ...that City launch at the north end stopped charging me to launch 8) ..I have mixed results when fishing this lake...One trip last year in late July found tons of jet skis and party barges both sides of the chute coming out into the lake...It was VERY hot that day and water temps were high....We ( my son and I ) caught several nice lakers and we usually catch and release...but finally quit because several of them just plain would not swim...Surface temp was 82...Earlier fishin.....before July is when I have the best luck.......I did catch my first Walleye ( thought it had to be a rainbow) in Owasco last spring on the cheater ( hand painted Gold and green stinger ) fishing 90 FOW about 4 miles down the west side.. That was right before dark ....I usually avoid Owasco in the middle of summer because of boat traffic and lack of parking at the Auburn city park