tehtering diver rods question

I have never tethered a rod but if your running wire your rod holder is as important as the rod and reel. I have heard a few guys say they almost lost the whole setup with cheap rod holders breaking .

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I have never had a rod break below the reel seat. But now you have me thinking. I have had a few break in the lower section above it.

Good question though. It would be interesting to know how many rods do break below the reel seat.

Anyone??

There is a reel seat that goes under the rod made by penn. The screws go up into the bottom of the reel and clamp it to the rod. There is a third hole in it that sticks out to the side. I use a dog leash and put it aroung the rail on the boat and clip it to the rod that way . It dosen't interfer with getting to the rod when a fish hits , you unclip it then. No worries about a rod coming out of the holder on a sharp turn :yes: Will try to post a picture later.

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

big dave that is a great idea. thats the ideas i am looking for. Reason really isn't a broken rod, I ded hear two different boats that had a rod break and in doing so also lost the reels. My main thing is,

My question is a teather to keep them in the holder should a rod go. or for example. last year I put on the new hd diver holder by Big Jon. these angle quite a bit towards the water. We hit a wave just right and the one diver rod went slack. you guessed it if i hadn't been there my brand new tekota would have slipped out of the holder and down to the bottom. The rod slid out of the holder about half way. Other problem with the Big Jons is that there is only six adjustments so when i go to the next click up it is to high from the water. so my real fear is more of having a rod slip in the holder and something to keep it in the holder then anything else. I know i have read post on the old board of some guys tethering their diver rods and i can't seem to find them with the search features on here.

Big dave where did you get those from i really like that idea.

My main thing is,

My question is a teather to keep them in the holder should a rod go. or for example. last year I put on the new hd diver holder by Big Jon. these angle quite a bit towards the water. We hit a wave just right and the one diver rod went slack. you guessed it if i hadn't been there my brand new tekota would have slipped out of the holder and down to the bottom. The rod slid out of the holder about half way. Other problem with the Big Jons is that there is only six adjustments so when i go to the next click up it is to high from the water. so my real fear is more of having a rod slip in the holder and something to keep it in the holder then anything else. I know i have read post on the old board of some guys tethering their diver rods and i can't seem to find them with the search features on here.

My Traxstech adjustable rod holders all came with the "keeper caps" and I switched my fixed position rod holders over to them from the standard cap also. These will hold the rod down in the holder if your diver tension goes slack or if a planer towline "lifts" a rod in a tight turn. It is also comical to watch an over-excited buddy try to get the screaming rod from the holder when it's still strapped in. And yes, they can eventually force the rod out of the holder.

Just loop the strap around the reel and under the hook on the rod holder cap to hold it. Pull the tag-end loose to release it and lift the rod.

http://www.traxstech.com/Accessories.html

Off E-bay look up rod clamps They have a penn part # so you probably could get them from them. I think they were for the 320 gti penn. My buddy lost a diver rod on a turn when a planner board towline hooked a guide on the diver rod. I have a lot on money in my diver rods and didn't want to have his mistake. I have titeloc rod holders on this boat and homemade on the old boat. The gimble end on the diver rod slides over the pin on the holders to keep the rod in place.

Item # on E-bay 150585381060 There are other ones listed so look around :yes:

For that reason alone, I like Down East Salty rod holders, I place the reel in the middle of holder, (a little PITA but safer) the rod can not break below the reel and it never slips out of the holder even if it is pointed down to water.

I use small bungee cords with hook on reel handle.

john

We used to do that , but it took longer to get the rod out when a fish hit. The leash lets you get the rod out and start on the fish then unhook the rod. And you know if the rod comes out of the holder , it won't go far.

• 2 weeks later...