Fly Fishing Line - Slip on leader loops

I like to use a dab of Pliobond glue , let dry & then the shrink tube. If you don't use the tube or whip the end w fly tying thread , it will fray over time. Some super glues are water soluble so watch that. Some lines are very slick & it will slip off so you have to rough it up some. I have a Cortland line that happened to twice. If you super glue the whole thing it will become stiff ,so don't do that.I heat it over a candle very carefully turning , but have messed up a few times over the years , overheated , & had to start again . Will try the boiling water trick!

The best way to do it is to make a permanent loop using the fly line. Peel off about 3 inches of the coating exposing the braided line. Fray the end of the braid about 1 inch. Then put it in your vice and wrap the fraid part into the bare braid and wrap with fly tying thread very tight the length of the fray up to the coated line. Wrap it with 2 layers of thread and whip finish. Seal with aqua seal. Works great, never fails even on 40lb stripers and 20lb sea run Atlantic salmon. I use it on all my lines. I can post a pic if you need one.

RR

• 4 months later...

The Slip On Fly Fishing Leader Loop makes it easy to tie on your fly fishing leader. The leader loop on the end of my fly line is starting to fray and I need to replace it with a pigtail. Cortland slip-on leader loops are the ideal way of connecting your leader to fly line. I have a few older reels with line that is non looped ends and have been using the Cortland slip on leader loops.