Cayuga 4-3-11 first trip this year

Got my boat out on Sunday to a Balmy 45 - 50 degrees and light wind. Trolled around with the second best fisherman on northern Cayuga Lake Yukonstu targeting Brown Trout and Landlocked Salmon using sticks high in the water column. No luck for the first hour so decided to fish deep. Dropped my normal Lake Trout trolling gear to 80 and 90 feet running over about 150 feet of water and BAM! First bite of the year and it's a nice one. Grab the rod and it's pretty heavy. Took my time reeling it in so I could at list get a look at it. About 20 minutes later this beast hit the deck.

Hot lure was the Spin Doctor Mountain Dew Glow with a custom SBT superstinger squid fly combo in green color. That was the hot ticket and took three of the four bites today. Other bite came on a Big weenie white/green Coho type fly behind the SD Mountain Dew.

Here is the 36" long 11 Lb 8oz. laker we caught and released.

11_5_lake_trout.jpg

I think I saw you out there. I had my radio on 68 and tried to see if anyone was talking but no one would answer me. This was caught dead center of the lake heading North from Deans/Long Point where the water starts to get shallower...like 150 feet deep in the center.

We passsed you. The old man said thats probably stoutner, and i said no he has a green top. I guess i'm wrong lol. great quality fish up there. We had our radio off, otherwise i would have filled you in. sorry about that. we always have it on but we had some battery concerns on our first trip out. Good luck this year, and next time we will have the vhf on.

We passsed you. The old man said thats probably stoutner, and i said no he has a green top. I guess i'm wrong lol. great quality fish up there. We had our radio off, otherwise i would have filled you in. sorry about that. we always have it on but we had some battery concerns on our first trip out. Good luck this year, and next time we will have the vhf on.

I do have a Green Bimini top usually. Just didn't have it on for this trip. I will usually have it on though.

Barry....you like that huh?

I'm surprised no-one has asked me what a "SBT superstinger squid fly combo" is yet :)