Snubbers

Ive heard nothing but good things about dipsy divers on the site this winter so i went out and tried to build 2 set ups. I bought 2 dipsies #0 and #1 and also 2 walker deeper divers 84 and 107 i believe are the numbers. From what i have read this far i should have went with wire but i bought 65lb power pro instead to try and save me from buying a wire rod. Basically my questions to you guys is what size dipsies work best #0 or the #1? Do you prefer walker deeper diver or dispy divers? And finally do i need to run a snubber? i feel as though it might take away from the action? I appreciate the help guys!

i use the larger size, with the power-ring or whatever they're called.i've never tried walker deeper divers so can't comment.you can convert any rod to a wire rod by changing the tip to a twilli-tip.dipsy hits are hard and neither power pro nor wire has any measurable strech, the snubber goes on the back ofthe dipsy,not the release, and cushions the impact preventing break-offs.i think they are essential with wire and power pro.i have two power pro rigs that i use for high lines and two wire rigs for more depth.both have caught fish.and you'll soon discover you'll want more than two.i used 45 lb power pro, i think it dives a little deeper.hope this helped.

Snubbers are good to start out with when using braid or wire, not necessary with mono for the stretch. Once you get the hang of setting your drag with the wire or braid and you have a good rod designed for dipsy work, one that has a forgiving top end and a sturdy back end, you can delete the snubber. I have used snubbers before (but not anymore) and I can say the 8 inch is best for wire and braid. It is important to make sure you have the leader to the lure be matched to the length of your rod and even a little longer, to be able to net a fish with the dipsy at the tip of the rod. Keeping the leader long enough to place the dipsy farther away from the fighting fish also has less leverage for the fish to wrench lose from the weight of the diver, thereby reducing the need for the snubber as well.

Drag set just so a tick or two goes out once in awhile at your troll speed and the use of long limber tip diver rods will give you an advantage in hook up over using the snubber, in my opinion.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I like using dreamweavers snubbers myself. They seem to be a little more stiff. I have found by running them it seems that I don't loose as many fish for some reason. I mainly run flasher fly combos but ocassionally I like to put a spoon on and go for browns. I then use flurocarbon leaders and I don't think you can run this setup with out the snubber.

Depending on what time of year you fish you will have to change out the dipsy's or deeper divers for that time of year or water conditions. I use the walker deeper diver 124mm for the warmer months when the thermocline sets up because you can get down to 80 plus feet with them, you won't get that deep with the smaller sizes and in summer I fish down to 100ft or more sometimes to find good temps.

It depends on how much line you let out. Obvously the more you let out the farther down it goes and the farther from the side of the boat it goes. Also, speed is a factor. I don't know the formula too it but I would say with a mag dipsy on a 1.5 setting. Target depth being 50ft. You would have to let out a little more then a 125' out to hit 50ft. I would say the dipsy probably 15 to 25 ft off the side of your boat not including rod length if you lay your rod flat off the boat. Just an estimate and I'm probably wrong :rofl:

c3m,you are going to amazed the first time you catch a big king on a dipsey rod set-up.whether it be via wire or super braids.as keith g said above,any rod can be made a dipsey rod.a twilli tip or roller guide tip will do the trick!i use diawa heartland rods with twilli tips and have never had aproblem with them.

i dove into the dipsey diver fishing world head first and went right for the wire.in fact,i am still running the original wire i nstalled on the reel five years ago.7 strand mason wire.i simply cut some back every so often and retie.

the settings on the dipsy are for getting the dipsey further out from the boat.the higher the setting the further out the diver planes. i use Wolverine clear stealth snubbers,always have and probably always will. using finess when removing the rod from the holder is critical,no need to set the hook either,as mentioned above there is no stretch to the lines.i use owner hooks,so i already know i,m starting out with lethally sharp stuff.most fly co's.are also using this hook,so i know im in good hands.

give wire a chance,i assure you,....you will be glad you did!

as far as fresh water fishing goes,nothing is more exciting than watching a dipsey rod get smashed by a big pissed off king!!!

good luck!! ;)

mike m

We use the clear twisted snubbers, remember they go after the dipsie. Its more for the headshakes at the net. We use the #1 size on a 2 or 3 setting . In the spring when you don't want to get so deep you can use the higher # to get the bait away from the boat. With flashers and flies or spoons & plugs there is no doubt when you have a hit. :yes: MY favorite sound is a king hittilng the wire dipsie. :inlove:

i went and purchased 30lb mason wire and spooled it up on one of my empty pen reels so lets give em hell! Are u suggesting using flashers and spinnies with flies off the dipsies over a spoon presentation?

i would thinks so.but thats just my opinion.

you could always get one of those clip-on line counters from cabelas or brass pro,i think shakespear makes them?if they are compatable to wire thicknesses.again i could be wrong.or you could always do something similar to the new metered powerpro braided line.you could some how mark the cable a different color every twenty five feet or so and just keep an eye on your markings as you let line out.

good luck,

mike

One way we estimated amount of line out was to measure how much line was out after one full rap (side to side on spool). Worked okay. Obviously the more line that is let out, the less line is out, but still an okay estimate

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png