When to start?

i'm no pro but.....pre-spawn activity should start when the water temp is in the high 40's, low 50's. Bass should be looking for high calorie foods, so jig and pigs or craws worked slow should be good. Lake ontario is still around 39 degrees, i've been fishing in some ponds and they're around 45 degrees or so....alittle bit more warm weather and the bite should be on.

you cant go bass fishing without spinner or buzz baits. white or black. topwater lures! cant beat the explosions!!

bob13

of course.......i was talking about baits to use while the water is still fairy cold.....

Smallmouth will be more active first since they are more of a cold water fish. When the water temp. gets to 56 to 64 degress the largemouth will start sponging , in anywere from 10 foot and in , smallies alittle colder and sometimes deeper depending on water clarety. You can catch both all year round just go slow moving bait when water is cold . When going out in the spring and the water is cool fish dirty water ( it warms up faster ) rock piles , concrete walls or any other object that will gather heat to warm the water faster. Jigs , stickbaits , worms and crankbaits are good , then as water warms use spinnerbaits and lipeless crankbaits. Top water starts around 56 degrees. This is just a starting point for you , remember bass don't always play by the rules so you can catch one on anything anytime of the year !! P.S. Bass season is open all year round in New York for catch and release till regular season opens. Alway check regulations because some lake are closed except regular season and open early ( Lake Erie ) for special season.

Thank you so much for that post, thats all I've been waiting for. And THANK YOU for stating that Bass catch-and-release is open ALL YEAR 'ROUND.. I feel like whenever I post something on a fish that isn't in season, someone has to remind me that the season isn't open and when it opens, like I keep everything I catch.. thanks again man, big help.. Also, what about trailers on jigs? I have been trying my jig without a trailer for a while with no luck.. But again it might still be too early to catch anything.. What kind of trailers and what color should I be using? And should I be using a heavier test for my line? Is 15 lb. good? Thanks a million. :yes::beer:8)

I use Zoom Super Chunks on 3/4 and 1 oz. and JR. Chunks on 3/8 and 1/2s . Most of the time its a Black/Blue Strike King jig, sometimes brown . Trailers are black/red flaked , but you can use any color you think the bass would like . Also any plastic can work as a trailer there are millions to chose from. I always use a trailer. Remember to check regulation on lakes to some dont have catch and release seasons like Onieda, make sure. P.S. I use 20lb Power Pro braid , but 17lb. to 20lb. mono or florocarbon is good too.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Sodus Bay Monday, May 2; very cool with wind and drizzle out of the northwest. Launching at 3:30 p.m. from the ramp on the west side just north of Arney's Marina.... Went across to just off Eagle Island, started casting and drifting with any kind of minnow bait (various Rapala types, both fat and regular, flatrap, huskyjerk,countdowns, jointed, etc.). We caught 12 nice largemouths, all very chunky,hungry, and hard fighting. We got blown out by cold wind, then went to cover over to the next island, then over to the bay where 3 mile creek comes in. The bass were really hitting, plus a couple of hard pulling 5 to 6 lb. northerns. All of the bass were 1.5 to 3 lbs. Anybody could have cast similar stuff from any dock or pier and caught beauties like these!! We spent about 3.5 hours fishing...

To add to the jig trailer question, i will only fish a jig with a trailer. I try to match the jig skirt and trailer color and as well i like a more compact jig. For instance, if im using a craw trailer, i will have the start of the claw at the edge of the skirt. This way, the bass cant pick up the end of the trailer w/o getting the jig. My favorite trailers inclued the Yum craw papi, any sort of sweet beaver (especially for cold water), and the new Berkley Havoc craw fatty. I usually fish a 1/2 oz jig in either blue/black or green pumpkin. Between high 40s and 60, bass (mostly males) will be on beds, so i like to flip and pitch alot, especially to cover. Also, a swim jig is good when looking for cruising females. You can use a small swimbait as a trailer, as well as a grub, shortened curly tail worm, or even a craw with longer claws. Especially now, fish low and slow, keeping contact with the bottom and dragging a jig as opposed to hopping it. Also, 15 lb is fine for a swim jig but if you get around any cover this may be a problem. If theres sparse cover, i will use 20-30 lb braid with 3 ft of 15 lb fluro or il go straight braid in the heavy stuff. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

The season for Bass in NY is not open year round! There is C&R for most of the state but not all. Jefferson Cty. and all the St.Lawrence and it's tributaries still recognize the 3rd weekend in June as opening day. The rest of state has C&R with limitations requiring artificial bait only. As always, a responsible fisherman checks the regs.