Ellison Country Park

I'm 99% sure that is all private property. However I do see people fishing it from shore. I've seen some monster carp in there. Not sure what else it holds..i assume whatever sneaks in from the Irondequoit Creek.

That's the quarry pond belonging to Manitou Construction/Manitou Concrete, located on Old Penfield Rd, up above the Genesee Conservation League. The land's all posted but there's usually people there fishing when I hike by.

Allright, thanks!

I will contact DEC to find out about that situation. I mean, I don't want to trespass someone's else property. Unless if they approved it, then I will fishing there.

Monster Carp is sound like my personal quest right now. Since I never caught carp over 15 pounds before.

• 1 year later...

Great fishing here, clear water with many shore fishing opportunities. Just caught a monster bass today alongside 7 other bass. saw a few carp swim by and an endless supply of blue gills. ive heard there are also northern pikes and needle nose gars in there. waters crystal clear so its real neat to see all the fish swim right in front of you. This IS PRIVATE PROPERTY, so be respectful and if confronted appologize and leave if asked so the fishing community does not get a bad reputation. They do NOT strictly enforce their rules because i was there for 5 hours and saw multiple other fishermen but no enforcement. just stay on the side of the lake with no construction so no issues are raised. Enjoy! and be smart. :beer:

Allright, thanks!

I will contact DEC to find out about that situation. I mean, I don't want to trespass someone's else property. Unless if they approved it, then I will fishing there.

Monster Carp is sound like my personal quest right now. Since I never caught carp over 15 pounds before.

If it is monster carp that you seek, the place to go is the entrance of Irondeqoit bay in the evenings. The carp are spawning and they come in from the lake to spawn in the shallows of Mayers marina.I have caught quite a few there on a night crawler.

You can catch veritable monsters over there and pound for pound they fight harder than a striper.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/gocarpn2.pdf

This IS PRIVATE PROPERTY, so be respectful and if confronted appologize and leave if asked so the fishing community does not get a bad reputation.

REALLY !!!!! glad to see you understand what PRIVATE means. :no::no::no: when they start arresting everyone down in the pit then maybe you'll respect the posted signs for the reason they were posted.

This IS PRIVATE PROPERTY, so be respectful and if confronted appologize and leave if asked so the fishing community does not get a bad reputation.

REALLY !!!!! glad to see you understand what PRIVATE means. :no::no::no: when they start arresting everyone down in the pit then maybe you'll respect the posted signs for the reason they were posted.

buddy the way i see it, their closing down their site and leaving so its about to be a free lake and it's not bothering anybody by fishing a bass out of the water and throwing it back. Why shouldn't I fish in a good lake near home? Life is short, enjoy it.

I've seen this place for many years...If the fishing is that good, than maybe the owners and the DEC and and the town of Penfield need to get together. If Manitou is pulling the plug, it needs to be turned into a park or something. Yes, I can understand all the arguments about opening a once closed place up to the public; but what is there to lose if the quarrying is all done? Unless Manitou is just looking to sell and the resource is still there....In my experience, closed down pits often have GREAT fishing.... :yes:

It's a tough situation. I know Steve saw one of his favorite places to fish get shut down because of disrespectful fishermen who ignored posted signs, and he's got a good point. If property is posted, then you need to get written permission to fish it. That's the route that I'd go, myself.

However, it's a good bet that the company posted the land to restrict their liability in case of an accident, and perhaps they don't care if anyone fishes it.

And my final thought:

"Life is short, enjoy it" ??? I agree with the sentiment, but as a rationale for doing whatever you want? Buddy, no offense to you personally, but that kind of attitude causes more problems than it solves. I like the idea from panfisher on working to establish a partnership with the town.

Trespass. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8371.html

I've trespassed in my life time to hunt and to fish. I do not condone it and actually avoid it nowadays. Older and wiser and the grass isn't any greener over that fence.

These arguments are kinda weak. I am 100% positive they will not end up swaying the judge. If the property is posted legally, put away your $75, and go fish on land where you may get a ticket. I feel there are too many places to fish to warrant trespass. I won't be seeing you in court.

The extenuating circumstances as I read them...

1.) Other people are doing it. So, it can't be that posted...

2.) Its ok as long as you are respectful...

3.) Carpe Diem

4.) The owners aren't using it so we can...

If you find my comments offensive, think about all the people reading your comments that have posted land and how they must feel about your comments.

Pits and quarries often have hidden hazzards, which is usually why they get posted (liability). The other reason they get posted is jagoffs dumping their garbage. Posted is Posted. Get your $75 ready.

Trespass. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8371.html

I've trespassed in my life time to hunt and to fish. I do not condone it and actually avoid it nowadays. Older and wiser and the grass isn't any greener over that fence.

These arguments are kinda weak. I am 100% positive they will not end up swaying the judge. If the property is posted legally, put away your $75, and go fish on land where you may get a ticket. I feel there are too many places to fish to warrant trespass. I won't be seeing you in court.

The extenuating circumstances as I read them...

1.) Other people are doing it. So, it can't be that posted...

2.) Its ok as long as you are respectful...

3.) Carpe Diem

4.) The owners aren't using it so we can...

If you find my comments offensive, think about all the people reading your comments that have posted land and how they must feel about your comments.

Pits and quarries often have hidden hazzards, which is usually why they get posted (liability). The other reason they get posted is jagoffs dumping their garbage. Posted is Posted. Get your $75 ready.

:yes::yes::yes::yes: Well put BSMaster

Well, all being said.... it would still B a sweet dream, given the fish are in good #s and variety there; if the area was turned into a park with fishing the main venue!! :clap: Yes issues with money, of course, safety and liability, jurisdiction,and all the other associated yadda yadda yadda. But hardly anything that hasn't been dealt with and worked around before. For the sake of just one more local great upstate fishing spot, it could be done....AND a somewhat unique place too!

Well, all being said.... it would still B a sweet dream, given the fish are in good #s and variety there; if the area was turned into a park with fishing the main venue!! :clap: Yes issues with money, of course, safety and liability, jurisdiction,and all the other associated yadda yadda yadda. But hardly anything that hasn't been dealt with and worked around before. For the sake of just one more local great upstate fishing spot, it could be done....AND a somewhat unique place too!

I agree with you a 100% These areas could be reclaimed for a greater good - recreation. I do not know the dollar amounts, but I do notice that even the small parks along water ways with minimal fishing access (suspect fish #s) are busy in the warm months. People like water.

As a land owner (all be it small) my land is posted for a reason, the law is VERY clear about my responsibility to prevent lawsuits. As a member of the Genesee Conservation League, the property that is adjacent to the Manitou pit please feel free to trespass the east side of the creek. The consequences might change your mind :o:o:o . When someone feels that the law doesn't apply to them just because others do it , I'm left with even LESS respect for my fellow sportsman. RONPAUL do as you may but, remember YOU and only you can be held accountable for your actions.

If you take the time and call the company you will understand they do not want anyone to fish the Quarry. They will give you permission to fish the creek on their side, but due to some unstable land they request that no one fish in the Quarry Please do not lose access for other that have taken the time to do the research.

Lund SSS is right...And young folks will always be more daring. Some not always so wise. So, again legally (with all of the said yadda yadda yadda addressed), IF Manitou is closing it down and the resourcing is finished there, a park-like entity, with some safety and liability issues looked at and resolved, could be awesome! What...would we really need more residential or commercial (retail or industrial) development there? Take what is established, improve it for some recreation, fishing #1 of course, and and let's relax and have some fun and breathe some fresh air and publicly enjoy it. No-power small boats only, shoreline access, walking and maybe some games and picnicking area (if the property and/or money did support it), wildlife, like whatever gravitates to the area, whatever. It could be fantastic and a great little area. A nice little piece of dream-come-true, with some really good fishing opportunities! :yes:

The pit is not closing down......It is all posted.......People do get arrested down there every year.....Even if it was to ever shut down the owners would build condos like Allens Creek Valley across the street .....Please refer to the Protect and Respect at the top of our page..................>* ( ( ( >