Perch rig question

BP Swing

Im wondering what the best hook is for a drop shot rig for Perch fishing with minnows. Ive been using a #4 gold salmon egg hook but Im thinking of switching to an aberdeen style hook (gold) I know the gold is the bomb on I Bay but now Im starting to rethink the gold for seneca with the clear water. Have had mixed results there with the gold. What do you guys think?

Jimski,

Those jig rigs look nice for great lakes Perch (I call them dumb perch compared to Senecas) but Im not sure the Seneca Jacks will go for that. Whats up with the crimps on those? Why didnt they just tie em? Cool idea though, I will try em if I see em. Thanks

They are a painted sinker with special flutter stuff. My regular rig is three Wal Mart #6 snelled red Tru Turn or Eagle Claw gold aberdeens tied above each other on a half ounce sinker, but the bottom hook is next to the sinker so as to have that minnow on the botom mud. The bottom hook catches 2 /3 of my perch. I use 6# braid as you can feel the perch crunching and scaling the minnows without any movement of the rod tip. It feels like a fiddle string vibrating when they do that to the minnows.

Go and buy a 2x long light wire #8 Gamagatsu in black or a Daichi long shank nymph hook. These are scary sharp and when those JUMBO'S your in search of breath on your bait, gently set the hook you don't need much. Run a drop shot rig with 4lb flouro and a 3/8 weight. Hope this helps a little.

Steve

Steve are the long shank hooks you mention similar to an aberdeen? You dont like gold? You tieing the hook right to the line or using a small dropper ? Jimski are you fishing your weight rig like a jig or letting it bury in the mud? Thanks guys for the info. BP

I let the sinker sit on the bottom and hold my rod in my hand to keep a little bend in the rod tip. My snelled hooks are tied to the braid with a Palomar knot. This gives a solid connection to the line for sensitivity unlike snaps and swivels. The snelled hooks have a stiff monofilament that sends back sensitivity to my graphite light action rod to feel the perch inhale and crunch the minnows.

The more I fish for perch, the more I find that they all have differnt techniques on different waters. Lake Ontario bay fish are easy pickens on just about anything although I prefer fin s plasticks on a small jig head. When they move out to the lake, you have to use a drop shot at least two feet off the bottom with a fathead to keep away from the gobies. Erie perch are deep, and Jimski knows what they like there. As far as Seneca is concerned, get a camo blanket and hide under it in Lund's boat! He is a Seneca magnet. As far as hooks go, I always use Gamos #6. In Lake O., it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The more I fish for perch, the more I find that they all have differnt techniques on different waters. Lake Ontario bay fish are easy pickens on just about anything although I prefer fin s plasticks on a small jig head. When they move out to the lake, you have to use a drop shot at least two feet off the bottom with a fathead to keep away from the gobies. Erie perch are deep, and Jimski knows what they like there. As far as Seneca is concerned, get a camo blanket and hide under it in Lund's boat! He is a Seneca magnet. As far as hooks go, I always use Gamos #6. In Lake O., it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks Jim,

Now I'm going to have to check under the cover before I pull out of the driveway. :rofl::rofl: Maybe Sun. I got a shutdown @ 5 AM Sat.

Steve