Ugly Stik Downrigger Rods

I am looking to add 2 Ugly Stik Downrigger rods to my arsenal. Unfortunately the model that came highly recommended by a friend who charters on the lake, is not available. It was the 8'6" model that was a medium weight (10-25lb) rod. I have checked online at Cabelas, Gander , Bass Pro as well as a bunch of other websites (some from here) and I can't seem to locate this model. Does anyone know if they discontinued it. I guess I would drop down to a 8', but just want to make sure prior to buying the 8' rod.

I cant remember the model #(maybe it's 1001), but us and a few other charter guys at sandy use the 9' (light action) ugly stick. We usually get them @ walmart for around $55. We all love them. You can get that rod tip just about on the water when rigged up. Never broke one in well over 15 years.

gotta bite,i believe the model u r looking for is the: bwd1101 its an 8ft3" ugly stik light action 2pc.rigger rod,also comes in a med.action with the same model number,but has an m for the action.

i have the bwd1131 7ft. 1 piece rigger rod that has become popular with light tackle fishing.

i have only used it for browns but not sure if it has the kahoneys to handle the big boys.

would love to hear from anyone who has caught big kings on this light rod!...and how you run it. info is via my basspro master catalog 2011 pg. 147

hope i was able to help,

mike m :)

I have been running the BWD 1131 1 pc for about 3 years now and to date havent found anything they cant handle . I think alot of the ability to handle larger fish is related to the quality of your reels/drags and i think that the softer nature of these rods leads to less horsing of the fish and tearing out hooks . I have even had several people land their first King on one of these set ups . Since I am now running a smaller boat i also find the 7' rods much easier to handle , set, store, etc. That said i will often clear one side of the boat when hooked up with a bigger fish since there is a reduced ability to lead the fish around and out of trouble when its in close

I bought the light action one piece version from Cabela's and really like them. Plenty of stoutness to handle Kings but light enough to use in a Brown spread.

I have heartlands for my ML set ups for browns. I am looking for rods that I will be using with my Convector 45 for Salmon during the flea season and I'm running 30lb big game. I am not sure if the ML rods would work as well as the straight M or MH, but I' don't want a broom handle either. I am wanting to get some nice bend out of the rod so it's almost down at water level when I have them in pole holders.

I use 12# till the flease come. Then 20# ff till the end of the season. I've ran 40# before. We've been running them for 20 years and I can't say enough about them. If it helps i'll drop the name Jerry (Rebel Charters), uses these also. Many others too. You'll wonder why you used anything else after running these.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Im switching over all of my downrigger rods to Ugly Sticks (1101) this season. Running Ugly Sticks for copper rods really turned me on to them. They really deal with abuse well!

I have had a few since I was just a kid in the 70's. The original one finally broke a few years ago. It was over 30 yrs old and it was made in america. I still have three Ugly stiks that I use back home for the Susky and some smaller lakes in Pa. I just never thought of using them on the boat for trolling. I have narrowed it down to the 7' and 8' med weight models. I like the fact of having a smaller rod on the boat and it being easier to manuever with the other rods in their holders and around people, I just don't know what I may lose by dropping down a size, if anything at all.

I use the Ugle Stick 8'3" for all my downrigger rods- light action- and they are great for everything- even 30 lb kings.

For my copper set ups- I run the 9' medium action. For dipseys I run both the 9' with roller ends or the 10' for the wire- with mag size divers..............

Have been using them for 20 years- and are the best rods you can buy for the money...............

Ditto here... I have a fully compliment of 9' Rigger Rods, all are 25+ years old... I think that speaks volumes for durability, they handle Big Kings yet are limber enough to fight smaller fish as well. My brother even used them in the ocean trolling for mackeral and ended up landing a 60lb Blue fin after a two hour battle a few years ago! They are worth the extra money up front, I have seen too many rigger rods take a permanent bowed set after a few years of use as well.

• 8 years later...

I have 2  9' UGLY STIK BWD, SST guides. I have had them for about 10 years,  I used them for planer board setups on Lake Champlain. They also make

great rigger rods.

I am selling them. Make me an offer including shipping from Milton Vt.

Riddler

I have 2  9' UGLY STIK BWD, SST guides. I have had them for about 10 years,  I used them for planer board setups on Lake Champlain. They also make
great rigger rods.

I am selling them. Make me an offer including shipping from Milton Vt.

Riddler
U may be a little late, this thread is 8 years old....

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk