Thru Hull vs. Transom mount and applications

waterlogged

I recently asked about the purchase of a combo unit (FF/GPS all in one package) and got some great replies and advice.

Have decided to go the separate FF and GPS route due to losing both if something goes wrong with the combo unit (we do have a handheld backup GPS too).

I recently corresponded with Spoonfed (Mass.) and he got me thinking about the thru hull as he said he can mark fish and not lose bottom with his thru hull up to 30 mph with his Furuno. Great option I thought but he has a fiberglass hull.

:?:

With the upcoming purchase of this new color FF I have been wondering if I could use a thru hull xducer or if I am limited to a transom mount because I have an aluminum hull?

See you at the Bar in May!!! :D:D:D

Thanks in advance.

Clarke

I would think as long as you have the cajones to drill about a 1 inch hole thru the bottom of your boat, it should work fine. Thru hulls normally require fairing blocks to point your transducer straight down, rather than on the angle of the bottom of the hull, so I'd make sure I had those on hand if needed. Someone now makes a shoot thru hull transducer for aluminum boats, which might be something to look into.

I also have heard that you can see fish with a thruhull at 30mph.I have no personal experence with this myself. I have always used the transom mount . I think its very important to be able to track your downrigger balls when you are trolling.With the color fishfinders [with experence ] you can tell your downspeed by the width and color of the balltrack.I have a furuno crt if I can't see the downrigger balls Im to fast,If they are bright red Im to slow. A thin green line, Ill catch fish.Now I dont know if with a thru hull your transducer will be to far foward to track the balls.I can also see seaweed slideing down the rigger cables and see my cheaters.

Now,something else I dont know about.Will the transducer hit when you are loading the boat on the trailer?

Another little tidbit. I know there are quite a few choices for transducers for Furuno. I didnt order mine it came on the boat.But it must have been a wide angle.If I get a stick or weeds up high on the rigger cables it shows up on the screen.like 1 ft down and it shows it. I use 50khz. low frequency.

A downfall of transom mount transducers if you back the boat off the trailer and there is ice on the water it breaks the transducers off. I know this from experence.....