my first time out - yee haw!!!

way to go sounds like a great day for you. by yourself thats a feet in itself to land a king. good luck in the future indevours on the lake hope your drag screams and your nets are heavy! you`ll be hook for life like the rest of us and broke to boot in all the equipment funding. good luck and stay safe out there.

thanks guys. yes - i'm hooked alright. and you're not joking about the $$$

even with an old, cheap boat, all the rods, reels, riggers, planer boards, spoons, plugs - WHEW - this trolling ain't cheap!!! but definitely fun - addictive actually, but far healthier than most addictions!!!

dre

Gets real expensive when you need to trailer the boat 400 miles :shock: . However you can amoritize that cost over a few days fishing and feel a little better about the gas expense :) . Glad to see you had a great time.

Just a great great report. Brings back lots of memories. I started in the Fingerlakes and its nice to catch something that fights back.

More people need to come to LO and they also need to catch fish.

I hope you got some useful info from this board.

Actually most weekends this yr the lake has been flat.

Thanks for the report.....

I too got my taste of the Big O this year. I grew up fishing Seneca and Cayuga. This year after a slow Memorial weekend derby I decided to try the Big Pond the weekend after. Hooked a 16# king over 140 FOW and 70 down (glow G-fly behind a flasher). They call it fishin, but now I'm the one who is hooked! Now I'm goin broke spendin gas at 4am headin north on 14 (Launch out of Sodus Bay). Awesome report!

dm - Glad to hear you did well. They're a lot of fun solo & really get the heart thumping. I fish a lot solo so one bit of advice, don't put it in neutral or reverse when solo and trying to clear the other line. If he turns and charges the boat, he'll be gone. Rather start a slow turn almost parallel to the way he's swimming.

Once he turns, start a large curve and keep him on the outside corner of the boat, if you don't have the other line out by then.

Just wait till you get a double fishing solo - I can't begin to decribe what a fire drill that is. ;)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks to everyone for your shared enthusiasm, advice, etc.

And a special thanks to Tom - the tip about turning the boat makes a lot of sense but it may have taken me years to figure out on my own - MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

i have had doubles on the fingerlakes, but a double with kings - i can't imagine.

tight lines everyone,

dre