wire reel question

Does a reel for wire have to have a metal spool or will a graphite spool be ok??????. Im planning on using a left handed line counter by Okuma but it has a graphite spool. I wish the tekota was left handed. Only 2 lefty line counters to choose from. shoot. BP (The Okuma convector is very nice though) Anyone here used a Okuma Magna? (in general not just wire?) Thanks BP

I agree that the spool isn't much of an issue. Just be sure to buy the very best reel you can afford. I don't know much about the Okuma's you're looking at, but you're going to want to make sure they have a first-rate drag system. These kings on wire really put a reel through its paces and will quickly wear out a lesser reel.

I run a lot of Okuma Magda's but the vast majority of my fishing is done on the fingerlakes. I have taken a couple of kings w/Magda's spooled with either wire or braid and they have held up just fine. HOWEVER - if I was fishing Lake O. regularly I would definitely upgrade the Magda's for wire diver applications, probably braid divers also.

Although I can't say from personal experience I think the Magda's would be quickly smoked when used regularly for wire divers on kings. Look at the Convector series reels from Okuma, they apparently had some drag issues which have been resolved or the Daiwa Sealine reels, a little more $$$$ than the Okuma's but very solid.

DAN

Go with the Diawa Sealines or the Shimano Tekotas. Don't waste your time with the Okuma Magdas. They are cheap reels and notorious for drag problems (and other problems). The Convectors are ok reels. 1000' of stainless 7 strand wire will fit on a Diawa SG47LC with room to spare. I have run the Sealines for 12+ years and have no complaints.