Sandy 7/10/07 - A rookies report

1st trip to the BIG O for salmon this year, and 1st ever out of Sandy.

Went 2 for 3. 1 nice king, 1 small brown & 1 screamer lost (darn son).

The king, and presumed other king, both hit the wire rig w/white e-chip, white fly set up out 150' over 105fow on #3 setting.

The brown came off the rigger down 70' over 80 fow on a nk28 glow frog as we were packing up about 10:15am (was getting steamy hot out there).

We fished mainly from the mouth to about mid-park in mostly 100' - 130' depths. Seemed to mark lots of fish down in the 70' range but couldn't get them to hit. I'm still learning!

Overall a great morning on the water - the lake was fishable for my 17 footer, the motors ran, we caught a few fish, and I wasn't at work!

I just want to say thanks to all you guys that provide us newbies with great tips and info. Both Gambler & Fishinman really made Sandy sound like it would be worth my time & drive from Livonia, and it was. THANKS!

GOOD FISHING ALL!

Mornin' BT. Yes it sure is a big diffrence than the finger lakes LT's on a Seth Green rig. Never had one of them rip off 200' of line in a few seconds. I think the big lake could be addicting! Time for a bigger boat - LOL. See ya tomorrow.

as another rookie, i'll join in and ask a question. Because i also have a small boat with small motors, i don't want to go too far from shore.

Someone told me that the gradient/drop off is steeper out of Oak Orchard than out of Rochester, which it certainly is.

Is the same true out of Sandy?

what other launches within an hour of Rochester have steeper gradients/drop offs so that i can get to deeper water faster in my boat?

last question - between now and when they head up the tribs, will the kings head to deeper water and then return, or will they stay in the 100-200 fow like ther are now?

thanks a bunch,

dre

fosterm22 - thanks for the info about sandy. winds look like i might be able to make it out tomorrow morning, though i have a 10:30 meeting in rochester i need to attend. Sandy is a little closer for me than the Oak and the reports look good out of there also.

thanks,

dre

You are right about the deeper water in a little closer at the oak than Sandy. I experienced both in the last week and 100 feet was definitely closer at the oak than Sandy.

Dre,

100' depths out of Sandy are less than 2 miles out. I think I was in 130' at about 2 miles out and I was a little west of the mouth also. Very fishable water for a smaller boat and motor - just watch the weather.

As for the salmon staying in the 100-200' depths, I would have to say they are going to stay at their preferred temperature range and where the bait is. I am not experienced enough with the BIG O to tell you what they might do with a change in weather patterns, so enjoy it while you can!

Best to keep an eye on the board and hope the "experienced" guys keep posting to helping out us newbies. THANKS again guys.

I hopt to get out again this weekend myself. Good Luck!

Welcome aboard and I am glad to hear that you did well out of Sandy creek. It is usually our launch point as well.

watch the weather and don't go out if the forecast is for north or north west winds above 5-10mph..they will generate 2'+ waves and that's not a lot of fun in a small boat.

We have a 16' footer and we can get out there with the big boys probably 75% of the time that they can go out, so you will still get plenty of nice days on the water.

have fun and stay safe.

thanks everybody for your advice and suggestions.

and i want to emphasize what LTtroller said about being grateful that the mroe experienced fisherman share their reports so that newcomers like me have a much better chance of getting into some fish, although it didn't help today. i fished from 5:30 - 9:30 am and tried everything i know - riggers, dipseys, lead core with lots of different colors, at every 10 foot interval depth, changing up speeds and directions - not a hit!

oh well, can't get em everytime. still great to be out there.

tight lines everyone,

dre