Monday April 11th – Yankee Report

We knew going into the morning that weather was creeping upon us from the South West. It was only a matter of time before Gail force winds and thunder boomers (according to the weather man), but we needed to get a few hours of fishing in at the very least. We pulled away from the dock about 6:30am and figured we would run the same troll as the day before. Well, we found out quickly that the mud from the Genesee River got pushed down it’s Western shoreline. We trolled for a few hours in that milk chocolate until we reached Long Pond where it started to green up. Once we found the green water the fish began snapping.

Today’s spread was a simple Brown Trout, or a typical April fishing spread, consisting of 6-8 lines off the planer boards and 2 riggers. We ran bright stuff on one side and natural stuff on the other. Again, today it didn’t matter. They ate both! We ran our lines from 125-175’ back on the boards and 40-60’ back on the riggers. That Stinger Sea Sick Waddler was HOT again today on the rigger down 4’ back 40’. It took our second biggest fish of the day!

Braddock point was the key area. I think the warm water getting pushed out of that bay from the South winds put the fish right on that point, and every pass 3-4 rods would fire. With about 2 hours of fishing left the board on the shoreline side of the boat’s furthest line out, and furthest line back, takes a hit. It was a J7 GFR ran back 175’. I could tell it was a good one, but I wasn’t ready for what came swimming by the boat 20 minutes later. My eyes about popped out of my skull when this thing hit the deck of the new Trojan. I called it a mid-teens fish, but at the end of the day on an official scale it weighed 16 pounds and 11 ounces. Our second largest Brown Trout ever, and one that made our customers mouth drop! On our last pass of the day we took our second largest fish on the Stinger Sea Sick Waddler weighing in around 12 pounds, which was a great end to a perfect day!

2011-04-11_10-08-37_796.jpg

2011-04-11_13-23-16_17.jpg

2011-04-11_13-23-52_537.jpg

2011-04-11_14-19-55_523.jpg

Hey rick how long was that brown? On Sunday we caught an atlantic at the oak that was almost 32 inches. Didnt have a scale but it had to be pushing 17lbs based on your brownie. I suggested it go on the wall but it ended up in a zip lock bag!

Hey Jkarol don't believe that there are many fish down by Braddocks. I have been fishin out of there for about 30 years and the Brown fishin out front is not very good. Most of the guys out of the river should troll east towards Iron. Bay and Shipbuilders. The fishin is always better down that way. Plus there are a lot of boulders and rocks off Braddock point and I would not want anyone to lose any lures there. :rofl::rofl: Good luck with the fishin you'll get em.

Havent been fishing braddocks. We've been fishing the eastern segment of the ponds to russel mostly with no luck. There have been good reports from there recently, and i know there are good fish there. We just cant seem to get them to eat ;( Hopefully we will get into 'em ASAP. Thanks for the tips!

Havent been fishing braddocks. We've been fishing the eastern segment of the ponds to russel mostly with no luck. There have been good reports from there recently, and i know there are good fish there. We just cant seem to get them to eat ;( Hopefully we will get into 'em ASAP. Thanks for the tips!

Just curious, but what are you using for lures?

Hey rick how long was that brown? On Sunday we caught an atlantic at the oak that was almost 32 inches. Didnt have a scale but it had to be pushing 17lbs based on your brownie. I suggested it go on the wall but it ended up in a zip lock bag!

I'm not sure Cheers. We didn't measure it, but that's a nice catch on your part. Did you post any pics?

Nice work guys :yes: Ive been trolling the ponds a lot on my buddies pontoon boat but we cant seem to hook up on anything :@ At least its good to know that they're there.

Jason - a few boats followed me West on Sunday and there was one spot we hit them between the river and Braddocks. They were all in one little pocket. The rest of the fish came from Braddock point. Keep at it and use baits for the conditions. Natural in clear water and bright in stained. That river mud was right down your shoreline yesterday, and made it impossible to see down a foot. A temp gauge would help you a lot. Fins the warmer pockets and cast those. Or just paddle/troll till you get bit and then fan cast that area.

Hey Jkarol don't believe that there are many fish down by Braddocks. I have been fishin out of there for about 30 years and the Brown fishin out front is not very good. Most of the guys out of the river should troll east towards Iron. Bay and Shipbuilders. The fishin is always better down that way. Plus there are a lot of boulders and rocks off Braddock point and I would not want anyone to lose any lures there. :rofl::rofl: Good luck with the fishin you'll get em.

It all depends. Everyone who went East Sunday had gin clear water and participated in a stoke fest. This time of year its all about chasing that colored water, which is generally the warmer water. South winds will blow that colored water away pretty fast. However, over at Braddocks that bay is wide open and a south wind can move that colored water in the bay right onto that point. Given the structure on that point it can be a great spot for Spring Browns. Don't get me wrong. I have fished East more times that West, but like i said this time of year its all about chasing the water.

Yankee I was just pulling your guys chain. Braddocks is usually a great spot this time of year depending on wind. The drawback is getting out of the darn bay. Last year first time out I had a foot of water and it was flat calm. Good goin on your trip Sun. it sounds like your clients had a blast. If ya see a 16 foot Sylvan in front of Braddoccks try not to run me over. :lol::lol:

The 16'11" Brown was between 30 and 31 inches in length...I measured the Pig. It was a terrific time for me and my buds....Thanks Rick and Craig.!! We we proud to be on the maiden charter of the new "Yankee Troller" Awesome boat with Class A Captain(s).....We'll be seeing you again Rick....Jerry

Yankee I was just pulling your guys chain. Braddocks is usually a great spot this time of year depending on wind. The drawback is getting out of the darn bay. Last year first time out I had a foot of water and it was flat calm. Good goin on your trip Sun. it sounds like your clients had a blast. If ya see a 16 foot Sylvan in front of Braddoccks try not to run me over. :lol::lol:

LOL......I know...

The 16'11" Brown was between 30 and 31 inches in length...I measured the Pig. It was a terrific time for me and my buds....Thanks Rick and Craig.!! We we proud to be on the maiden charter of the new "Yankee Troller" Awesome boat with Class A Captain(s).....We'll be seeing you again

Rick....Jerry

Thanks Jerry!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png