Lining a reel

I just started using braid again this year, and am backing my spool with some 12lb mono I had kicking around. It makes sense and I wish I started it before, it saves so much line that just gets tossed out anyways.

I use this knot, which is basically the same as what I do with my mono leaders I use on my tip-ups (which is really braid=>mono).

blood_knot.jpg

I like to have a couple hundred feet of braid on my casting rods, about double my longest cast. i went into the backyard and made a cast with a heavy lure and then tied the line to something and walked it back and forth (i.e. 2x casting distance) pulling line off the spool as I went. then cut and tie uni uni knot and wind up the braid onto the reel on top of the mono. better to start with too much mono backing and having to strip the braid back off and cut out some mono than to start with too little mono IMHO. after the first time you will have a sense for the right amt of backing.

another way is to figure out how much braid you need first as above, wind it onto the spool first. then tie on an wind the mono over top and cut when full. then strip it all off (not on a spool but straight out into the yard), then wind it all back on starting with the mono end this time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I use 30lb mono- winds faster and you use less of it because of the larger diameter. yeah ibraid may have a tendency to dig in more to larger diameter line, but I put a strip of tape across the mono once its spooled on. this prevents it from loosening up while you're working the knot and winding the mono. the tape and tight mono both prevent the braid from digging into it...besides you really shouldn't be into the mono one the water if you have enough braid.

yeah im gonna start lining my reels next time I change lines...while on the topic of lines I supposed I could ask this, when using fluoro leaders do you guys have anything against tying directly to the main line as opposed to using a swivel? I just figured I could tie 80lbs fluoro to my 65lb braid with a an over hand knot and a single uni knot?

using a snap for the leader allows you to change it out more easily on the water if it gets nicked. 80lb fluoro is difficult to get tied correctly and tightly and doesnt tie well to such thin lines either

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Ronix- go a head and tie direct to your flouro as long as your bait doesn't spin you'll be fine for casting. Actually do that will make your tip-top last longer since you aren't always banging your swivel up against it. As far as trolling, it is recommended to use a huge ole swivel b/c this will catch weeds all summer before they make it to your bait. Use a double uni-knot but tying 80lb flouro to braid can be fun. When I do this it is tough to use more than more 3 turns on the flouro end of the knot. Good luck bud!

I use only 200 ft of PowerPro 80 lb test powerbraid and 50 lb cheap mono as backing.To detremine how much powerbraid I'm putting on the reel spool I use this procedure;tie the powerbraid to the reel spool with level wind paw off to one side of the reel,wind on the powerbraid untill the levelwind paw goes to the other side of the reel,then pull the line back out to the tie at the spool and measure it.Now I know on each level wind pass to each side of the reel just how much line is being put on the spool.Wind on the 200 ft of PowerPro 80 lb test,bloodknot the PowerPro to the 50 lb Mono and finish cranking the reel until the spool is full.Now you can do the next part two different ways,fill a milk jug 1/2 full of water tie on the Mono end of the line and with drag loosed all the way drive the boat away untill you come to the PowerPro tied to the reel spool,I do this walking down the neighbors block.Cut from the reel spool and hold the tag end and motor back to the milk jug,tie the PowerPro to the Jug and Mono,throught the eyes of the rod,to the reel spool.Drive away unitil your dragging the milk jug,stop and start reeling in.The milk jug 1/2 full of water will keep tension for a tight wind of the mono wraps as you reel in.When you get to the bloodknot stop,this is important.You will need a tape spool of pipe thread tape for the next step. Wrap the tag end of the Teflon Pipe Thread Tape around the Mono side of the blood knot 4 times,grasp the PowerPro and Teflon Pipe Thread Tape together and wind on all the way accross the spool and back,break the Teflon Pipe Thread Tape and twist it around the PowerPro 4 times.You have now filled the groves in between the larger diameter Mono for a smooth surface for the PowerPro to wind on for even lay beside wraps for longer casts and less Profesional Overides(backlashes).You have also locked the Mono in so there will be no slipping on the spool.Also from going through this whole proccess your spool in totaly full,using only 200 ft of powerbraid and will give you nice long casts every time.Don't worry about the Teflon Tape,if you do get a fish that takes out more then 200 ft,not likely,the whole setup will flow right through the levelwind and rod eyes.

Capt. Larry