Lake O walleye question.

OSWEGO.......

Lots of night action, boats trolling regularly: In the harbor, along the shoreline to the east in tight, up the inside of the east wall and right up into the river (mostly east side) earlier on in the season. Some boats do hundreds, and many do none or a few, lots of catch and release though from those in the know. Also night walkers and casters, they walk the wall with S13 Rapala's from bridge street bridge to the railroad bridge on the east side and they cast on the west side from bridge street bridge and north.

During the day time a few moons ago there were quite a few locals that would drift in small tin boats jiggin yellow or white bucktails tipped with half a worm, 1/4 and 3/8 oz. Now days there are a handful of guys that will drift worms from the shoreline anywhere from the railroad bridge to just above the old Cahill/Coleman's facility (west side)

Incidental eyes are common in the lake (out to about 50 fow), the BT guy's will take them occasionally all spring, so that means they are there !!!

You may be hard pressed to get any more info than that, Fat Nancy's in Oswego has a very good selection of stick-baits, maybe stop by and pick one or 2 up as a small thank you to this spot burner. Also Larry's Salmon Shop and Screwy Louie's both have selections of various tackle.

Good Luck

Tom

Can't say much about the day fishing for the walleyes as we have only ever caught one during the day and that fish hit a slider out over 600ft! As for the night trolling we have done quite well and have pulled many fish in the trophy class from the river and harbor at night. Two key items for us were speed and lure. We only ran S18 rapalas in a variety of colors and trolled as slow as we could go. We always fished from our small boat which has a 25 horse on it and would bump in gear at idle and start fishing. Good luck if you get out there after them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Thanks alot guys, I rented the same cabin as last year may 5-13 so I'll definately be doin some fishing. I catch all my eating fish out of Erie in July and release all large fish there as well. I'm not in it for the meat just the photos! I have a great deal of appreciation for someone who can release a trophy fish! As for Fat Nancys and Screwy Louies, loaded up at both spots last year and will do so again this may!

Mike.

Mike.. We did the river night trolling a couple of times and caught some hogs flatlining F-18 Rapalas.. but I didn't enjoy the "full contact" fishing, especially at night! We tried daytime trolling in the harbor and picked up a few very early running boards against the breakwalls, but it was real slow and didn't last long. I do much better up around Henderson, Black River Bay and near the mouth of the river. I pretty much just kill time up there waiting for the summer bite on the eastern end of Erie. Now.. if you really want to troll for walleyes.. no crowds.. big walleyes.. warm weather! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Started going last two years. Damn its fun! Went in the first week of july and fished out of Loraine. Met a great guy on Walleye central who took me out the first day and showed me the ropes on the Erie spinner bite. Some realy nice Folks out there. Oswego is different! ALOT of assholes out there at night! I dont get it? I'm going back because I'm familiar with it I guess lol. Whats the Henderson Harbor experiance like? Now you got me thinkin about exploring other options lol. Actually got a touch of heatstroke last year on Erie, WAS HOT! Great being able to go for a swim off the boat though!

Mike.

DSCN1798.jpg

Henderson can be ok,but for my $ I'd focus on chaumont, guffins, or 3 mile bay. The stretch of shoreline on point peninsula from the red barn on clines pt.to the white barn near shangrila campground holds many big fish early on. In any of these locations, try the 12-25ft range trolling cranks. Traffic can be heavy at times depending on the conditions, but the bite can be on all day as well.

There are walleye in Lake Ontario? In all seriousness, Oswego Can produces some monsters and bigger fish than erie. Of course it's going to be more traffic because it is a smaller than Erie trolling waters. Definately a better chance of a 10lber in Oswego than Erie. Daytime? Almost impossible to get any fish in any kind of consistency. During daylight hrs the Henderson Chaumount Black river bay areas can produce.

There are walleye in Lake Ontario? In all seriousness, Oswego Can produces some monsters and bigger fish than erie. Of course it's going to be more traffic because it is a smaller than Erie trolling waters. Definately a better chance of a 10lber in Oswego than Erie. Daytime? Almost impossible to get any fish in any kind of consistency. During daylight hrs the Henderson Chaumount Black river bay areas can produce.

Fish under the bridge they will be sitting in the shade!!!!

I'd say its about 8-10 miles as the crow flies, so depending on your boat and the chop I'd guess half an hour give or take. The quality of fish in the bay can be very good. A lot of smaller fish are caught in the buoys(with a few bigger ones mixed in) at the entrance to the black river. Mostly trolling worm harnesses, although I have seen others drifting for them as well. If you're looking for a trophy in black river bay, the bull rock/everleigh point area is a good start. Also the steep shoreline in front of the battlefield up to horse island has been known to cough up a few big fish. The entire bay can be a fish factory, but its no secret and thus the traffic around there the first couple weeks of the season can be a little heavy.

The Bay of Quinte in Ontario yields some of the largest walleyes anywhere and since it connects to Lake Ontario these oversized smelt and alewife eaters must feed in the main lake during the warm water season. Someone will figure out where they are in July and August someday.

It is no mystery where those fish are at in July and August :yes: . Oswego will give up some pigs for a few weeks but after that its tough to find them. The same thing with the henderson black river bay areas. All these fish are doing is leaving their spawning grounds and heading out to where they will lay all summer until it's time to do it again.

There are walleye in Lake Ontario?

Landsharks quote should be.. "There are walleye in Lake Ontario I haven't met yet"?

Mike.. You've got some great info here from guys much more familiar with the area than

me. Keep pumping them for more.. I'm taking notes! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

The quality of the fish in BRB taste bad you dont want them, :lol: Actually the smaller ones are near the buoys, and like the others said worm harness are the main lure drifting or trolling over the delta. Boat traffic the 1st week or 2nd can be bad. the main bay is the best for the bigger ones. July and August they are there just have to find them. 18 more days till it time to fill the coolers. But who is counting :P:P:P

Tried finding lodging in Sagats Harbor but no luck. Want to be able to keep my boat in the water where I'm staying. All the places are all in Henderson. I may just have to make the run up into the other bays when the weather is cooperating? I really want to be Near BRB, Guffins etc. Thank to all you guys for the great info, its REALY appreciated!!! Does anyone know of any lodging options in that area?

You'll be hard pressed to find lodging in sackets. I'd recommend the guffins bay resort/marina. They have a website you can check out. Good fishing can be had right from the launch. Chaumont bay is also easily accessible from here.

Henderson Harbor has been on my list for some time. They had an MWC out some time ago, so was always curious about there and Quinte, even when I lived in Illinois.

I been in Buffalo for 2 years now and havent made it out there yet. I hear the spring spinner is something. I didnt realize such spit between night and day fishing. Night usually is good, but didnt think this was the preferred time.

Really liked the eastern erie walleye bite. barcelona/dunkirk fun. Then its sunset bay in the summer. Very nice.