Where are the big walleyes in Cayuga during the season?

several trout openers in a row, me and my buddies caught 4 to 6 lb. walleyes in fall creek fishing for trout.

I have never heard of any stocking program. I did talk to a couple of guys at T-Falls 2 years ago and they said flat lineing at millikin at night is good. anybody have any solid info ?

I've been fishing Cayuga for many years, never seen a walleye although I have heard reports. To be honest the hours I put on the water trolling every season, if there is any walleye population I should have stumbled upon at least one of them. Keep us in the loop of any sightings.

Hey, i too have seen big walleyes come from fallcreek, seen a 11 pounder caught last year, huge female, they released it. In the spring like right now i've caught them up at may's point by the spillway, just to the right of the little bait shop there. some big ones get pulled out of there too. Can't say names but there was some guys a few years ago that put eye's in cayuga.

Im used to be neighbors with tom chiotti, who was higher up in the DEC for our region and he tried stocking walleyes in the mid to late 90's not sure exactly what year but i do know that they stocked them at 3.5 to 4 inches in length and after two years of no return they figured that most of them had been eatin as bait by larger fish and scrapped the program but according to you guys a few of them made it and grew to some size. I agree with mower i have logged many a hour of the water without seeing one. This past winter fishing out in front of AES cayuga the guy next to me hooked into about a 3lb eye that he returned back to the water. I personally would love to see them introduced into the water it would add an extra wildcard species to our everyday pick

I have yet to see one on Cayuga but I have some reliable buddies who claim to saw them in Fall creek.

I have now heard since then that they have caught them on the south end and Northend and the reports Ive heard 10lb plus fish.

I'm still sceptical. I spend a lot of time snorkeling Cayuga and never ran into a Walleye not that means anything. Did run into a Bowfin once :o That thing was 5 ft from my face probably thinking the same thing I was. WHAT the f%$# is that :rofl: I'm also seeing a lot more Alligator Gar or Chain Gar? Drawing a blank.

Owasco spillway to the seneca river/cayuga-seneca canal. also Erie canal from Oneida through Cross lake into the Seneca Cayuga Canal. I would assume thats were those mud lock fish are coming from. Once them babies get on Alewife, they don;t stop, and they get fat quick. Night time is the right time.

Copied and pasted this post from another board. It was posted there just a couple of weeks ago. Interesting.... Sluggo (Chris)

Saw them today at Fall Creek under the black iron... A guy was fishing egg sacs. In the short period of time I was watching, he caught one maybe 29 or 29 inches, and as big around as a softball... maybe 8-9 pounds. He also caught one probably 36-37 inches, and as big around as a damn football. That fish had to go 15.. I had never seen one as big as the "small" fish, until I saw the big one. I was shocked...

Guy had a pile of big split shots above his hook,, and a sac laying on the bottom... These massive walleyes vacuumed those things up like suckers, and came up like logs...

I have NEVER come close to a walleye that size, in almost 20 years of fishing for them.. My best is 27 inches and around 5 pounds.. This guy cuaght 2 monsters in minutes by accident... I wonder if the DEC realizes how big Walleyes can get in Cayuga???

There could be a monumental fishery here, if anyone wanted them here.. I know I am in the minority, but man those were impressive fish... Once in a lifetime fish, and a guy catches 2 in minutes... by accident.

The irony....

I have yet to see one on Cayuga but I have some reliable buddies who claim to saw them in Fall creek.

I have now heard since then that they have caught them on the south end and Northend and the reports Ive heard 10lb plus fish.

I'm still sceptical. I spend a lot of time snorkeling Cayuga and never ran into a Walleye not that means anything. Did run into a Bowfin once :o That thing was 5 ft from my face probably thinking the same thing I was. WHAT the f%$# is that :rofl: I'm also seeing a lot more Alligator Gar or Chain Gar? Drawing a blank.

longnose gar in cayuga i believe. aligator gar are those big nasty guys in the southwest that get huge.

I didn't believe many stories about walleyes, but this year a guy at work had a few pictures of walleye that came out of fall creek. All the stories i hear are of big fish, so my guess is they are not reproducing well even though they seem to do well in the lake. I keep hearing that "Cayuga is loaded with walleye" I don't think this is true. Maybe fall creek is loaded in the spring, but for a lake that big theres not a lot to go around. Its really hard to say anything for sure. Its too bad the dec keeps getting budget cuts where they could look into a lot of these things. Also remember that rainbows and browns aren't native fish to ny. So they are here because of stocking programs in the past. I think the biggest factors in the last 20 years are the zebra mussels and the alewives that put a big hurt on the smelt population. I think if the smelt were doing better the rainbows would come back. I really don't know a lot about any of this, this is just my observation and what a little research has told me.

Walleye and alwives don't get along to well. The walleyes spawn and they hatch out just as the alwives come ashore to spawn and they clean out all the fry they can get. ;( Thats what goes on in Otisco anyway..