Connecting kicker to main

walleyejack

Anyone have an experience with connecting the kicker to the main motor,I looked at the EZ steer thing,not sure about it,read some reviews,more than half were not happy,just wondering what else is out there that is reliable and good value.

have an 8 Yam to a 90 Yam.

Thanks Al

My I/o to yamaha works great. Just check the clamps so they stay tight on the kicker and keep an eye on where the bracket is welded on the brackets. I have made few repairs over the years but with the hours I have on the ez steer it is expected

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

EZ steer works good, but as in a previous post, keep the clamps tight. Mine has been repaired once where the arm that attaches the adjustable bar broke away from the plate that secures with the clamps to the engine. Was my own negligence for that. Mounting is easy. Keep the bar near horizontal without too much tip with engines down or up. The bar has adjustment screws with detents in it, the instructions are pretty good for setting that, and I believe the setting is 22 lbs to have the bar stretch to its best alignment for both motors. I set mine with a bathroom scale. Then to align your motors for trolling simply steer the main engine hard right or left depending on the side you kicker is on and in doing so you extend the detent tube on the bar to the desired alignment. The detents will hold the bar in place under normal steering when trolling. Sometimes a little tweaking on the adjustments are all that are needed to get it just right. Quick disconnect is handy for removal if that is needed.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Al,

Cabelas sells a auxiliary steering unit that works well for me. It mounts to the front of your outboards with a ball joint on each motor connected with a piece of allthread that you cut to fit your boat. I had the ez steer and it did not work well for me. The bar would hit my main motor when the kicker motor was tilted out of the water. My boat has a Johnson 140 and Tohatsu 9.8 kicker.

This system is easier (much cheaper) and it is in the front of your motors (easily accessible) if you need to disconnect while on the water. Each ball joint has a spring clip to remove it. simply pull it back and the rod disconncects.

Took me about 20 minutes to install and couldn't be happier. I wrapped the all thread with duct tape to keep the threads from rubbing/wearing on cables/fuel hoses but a piece of old hose would work nice too.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Al,

Cabelas sells a auxiliary steering unit that works well for me. It mounts to the front of your outboards with a ball joint on each motor connected with a piece of allthread that you cut to fit your boat. I had the ez steer and it did not work well for me. The bar would hit my main motor when the kicker motor was tilted out of the water. My boat has a Johnson 140 and Tohatsu 9.8 kicker.

This system is easier (much cheaper) and it is in the front of your motors (easily accessible) if you need to disconnect while on the water. Each ball joint has a spring clip to remove it. simply pull it back and the rod disconncects.

Took me about 20 minutes to install and couldn't be happier. I wrapped the all thread with duct tape to keep the threads from rubbing/wearing on cables/fuel hoses but a piece of old hose would work nice too.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Yup for sure this is what I will be doing,don t need to be hanging off the back of the motors to fix something,and the costs..245 vs 40 says it all,if a fellow wanted he could go to the local hardware and get a piece of threaded rod and a couple ball joints and make one for 20 or less.

thanks for the in put everyone.