Yamaha Screwed Me

Hookedup

So I was thinking about a new engine this summer. Guess what...It won't be a Yammy!

What kind of fools do they have running their Marketing???? I mean here you have a guy who charters a few times a year & his clients can't help but notice that their professional guide proudly displays the Yamaha name on the back of his boat. Talk about a free plug everytime he goes out on the water & they won't support it at all! Free advertising means nothing to them? Maybe they'll wake up when more Yahama name cowls are proudly displayed in the junkyard.

Kind of makes me believe the E-rude video where the Yahama looses the motor pull and gets dunked.

Good luck with it. I'd definitely be talking to BBB & AG about it. I'd also be googling some names/email addresses of some executives at Yamaha and tell them about the "Yammy Whammy".

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Sean,

Thats a darn shameful act by Yamaha Corporation. I am sorry to hear that you have to endure a huge financial loss for a faulty outboard motor.

Like Tom aka Long Line, I would not consider buying another Yamaha outboard after I learned about your demise. I own 2003 Yamaha outboard 150HP.

Yamaha has a lot of explanations for you and the rest of the gang at LOU.

Anthony

Hi Guys $6100 for parts and labor. They should have the power head in this week. So if all goes well I should be back out fishing by the end of next week. I am ready to get on the water and have some fun. Thanks Sean

Every time I read this topic I get frosted Sean :@.

Yamaha may have gotten another $6,100.00 out of you but they lost THOUSANDS from us little guys. Even if they make things right with you now after all the negative press the $6100.00 is going to be a drop in the bucket. It is far cheaper to keep a good customer than what it costs to advertise to get new ones. Especially to overcome the negative effects of the hassle they are giving you in this down economy.

I wonder if they would have the gonads to give their side of the story in this forum?

OK, now it's time to go FISH. Good luck with the new power head.

Guys,

Don't stop at outboards. I have, IN THE PAST, owned Yamaha snowmobiles, motorcycles, generators and outboards. Never again. Customer like this deserves a big no thanks in the future. See ya YAMAHA. Even if you are a quality product you have prover you are not a quality organization.

Tom

Hey Sean,sorry to hear about your motor,i remember getting screwed once with an evinrude that was out of warrantee,i also needed a new powerhead,i bought the boat from a marina and only had it for 6 months,i fought the matter on principle and not facts,i kept on calling people going higher and higher with the chain command until i spoke with the right person,all i really had to do was make a valid point!!! It was finally settled with me payiny 20% and them paying 80%,then the motor blew up again 6 mons later because the vro pump failed.I am glad you are able to get your boat fixed and will be fishing the Great LO soon,Good luck,and for Yamaha,based on principle of how they screwed you,I will never invest into Yamaha motor!!

Just bought a Honda 8 HT with power tilt , electric start, & 12 amp output alternator for around $3,300 as a kicker for my new Hewescraft. Why pay for a rebuild on an old platform, just go new, dump Yammy & start over with a better product.

I also currently have a 1996 yammy 9.9 HT on my Lund Newport 2100 & it has worked well for the last 10 years, & is still going strong.

Good Luck, hope your downtime for this is limited.

Thats the plan Iceman, Got to have the 200 hp fixed prior to trading it in. Ill run it on 1 year warranty on new power head then see about repowering with Honda. New motor is going to be 20 to 22k so its going to take a little time. Got a good friend who has that Honda and he loves it. Will like to see that Hewscraft, It was down to the Hewscraft or the Parker when I got mine they make a good boat. Lots of them in Alaska when I was up that way last summer. Sean

Honda gives one year warranty for commercial use, & 3 yrs on private use.

Get more insurance, or an extended warranty from the dealer.

Lets all go forward with this knowledge, so we have a better experience next time.

Don't know what it is exactly . I do know of approx 2 dozen owners of larger ones( 70hp and up). The only problem we or anyone I know have encountered is the trim/tilt system. We use them in extreme cold temps and the reservoirs are plastic. I have owned 2 of them( a 115hp and a 130hp), and its the only problem I have had. The dealer was very cocky, he said, "we send 'em out the door and never see 'em again. For the most part, he has been right.

I had one of the first if not the first one on the Niagara river. I chose it because I wanted a four stroke and they were the first to "marinize" a four stroke for outboards. I have grown to appreciate them for too many features to mention, and great reliability. Now, I have friends that have had great luck with "yammies", especially 2 strokes. They perfected the oil injection systems that are the downfall of so many 2 strokes--especially in cold weather

I have been on the "wrong end" of these deals myself, a 1985 Sportcraft with Merc I/O that was only a few months old, and a S-10 Blazer that had the paint peeling a few months out of warranty. Only a severe ruckus works to get anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow that is a disheartening story Sean. Sorry to hear about the issue you had with the motor failure and the fact that yamaha added insult to injury. Regardless of the fine print, companies should be ethical, fair and reasonable. Add me to the list of those who will NOT be considering yamaha on my next purchase

Viral marketing, or in this case viral grassroots campaigns CAN have an effect. Nice to have the power back in the consumers hands. Be sure to post a link to this not only on iboats and the hull truth but all the fishing forums. I am so irritated to hear about this. Let the groundswell begin.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png