why no regulations book

Why is the Increase long overdue? All it really did in a bad economy was cut out more partime & once in a while fisherman & make outlaws out of some . " Hey Dad , lets go fishin today " said the 8 year old son. " Sorry son, a licence costs 30 bucks &, we only go once in a while, lets play catch instead" . More lack of participation for the sake of the general fund& future fisherman.Took my broke college son on opening day trout & payed for his licence cause if I didn't , he would not have gone. No reg book means you won't know the new rules & when you get caught, more fine revenue for the state!!

Yes, i paid the 70.00 last year whjen the increase first went up to almost double. but I also got a regulations book to go along with it. This year when it was mailed to me it did not come with a book. I called Dec about it only to have them tell me to download it. i was wondering if they stopped making regulation books when this happened. I figured it must be that New York state is just trying to get aall they can get and if no regulation books---they could end up making more on us non residents . Sso i take it now that I can indeed get a book when I get up there next week into Ny. i just might have to wait until a licensing shop opens in the morning before I can get out fishing. i am surprised they diddn't send one with my license as I personally always request this.

Good to hearr they are still making them. Must be making them for residents only. Must just try to rip out of staters off as much as possible. That's my conclusion anyway with the almost double fees. Add to that 150.00 or so in gas and stopping for food and it is a very expensive trip to make. doesn't leave much more money to shop in sporting good stores and such . sorry to sound so critical. Just getting it out of my system i guess. i will surely make the trip anyway. i am really happy though they sent a book last year as the life preserver law had went into effect that i would not have known about. i saw lots of guys pulled over for that in oswego. They told me they got fined. Luckily i knew about it and had my preserver on. thanks for letting me know reg books are available. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Not getting a regulation book in the mail has been in effect from last year. Even Lifetime Licence holders were informed we would not longer get the regs book. DEC told us to go to the website to stay current on reg changes when they sent out our plastic license (I think this means we will NOT be receiving the regular licence in Sept. DEC said this was a cost cutting (10 percent) they have to make this year.

Talking with a number of ECO (Game Wardens) they said they only got one copy of the regulations each. Which makes their job harder as fisherman claim they are not aware of the reg changes and make it harder to issue tickets. They have even told me they are having a number of tickets "throw out" by JP's due to "ignorance of the law" in their words. No wonder we are losing ECOs at a greater rate than we are replacing them.

My own observation, The DEC (Albany) started business advertiving a couple years age to cover the cost of printing and distribution but cut the printing by 45% last year and have slated another cut to this years printing. Thus, the "use the internet website for updates" direction for Albany DEC. Plus their are NO academy classes scheduled in the future to replace ECOs leaving. Bottom line, less tickets issued, longer response time for ECOs, less patrol on the water and land. As told to me directly for all ECOs, "Use the sheriff, Local police, Park Police and State Police to report violations you see. They will have faster responce time and are not a lenient as we are with people violating the law".

Why is the Increase long overdue? All it really did in a bad economy was cut out more partime & once in a while fisherman & make outlaws out of some . " Hey Dad , lets go fishin today " said the 8 year old son. " Sorry son, a licence costs 30 bucks &, we only go once in a while, lets play catch instead" . More lack of participation for the sake of the general fund& future fisherman.Took my broke college son on opening day trout & payed for his licence cause if I didn't , he would not have gone. No reg book means you won't know the new rules & when you get caught, more fine revenue for the state!!

I think it was either a large increase in price or a HUGE cut in stocking / programs. It amazes me that guys spend thousands on fishing gear and b*tch about $30.00????? I don;t mind paying more for my license. I look at it this way, 1) I get my money back in the number of trips, 2) Where can you expierence the fishing that we have here in NYS for $30.00? Break down the number of times you fish a season and compare it to gas, boat payment, slip fees, lunch for the day and tackle. License fees are the cheapest per trip out of all listed above.

I think it was either a large increaase in price or a HUGE cut in stocking / programs. It amazes me that guys spend thousands on fishing gear and b*tch about $30.00????? I don;t mind paying more for my license. I look at it this way, 1) I get my money back in the number of trips, 2) Where can you expierence the fishing that we have here in NYS for $30.00? Break down the number of times you fish a season and compare it to gas, boat payment, slip fees, lunch for the day and tackle. License fees are the cheapest per trip out of all listed above.

Agreed, they'll spend more than that at the bar Friday night and think nothing of it.

Tim

I am not happy about the increase in fishing license, however I am from Pa, and we have paid much less in NY than a nonresident would pay in Pa. I would buy a nonres. license for my friend for christmas and including trout stamp it was 61.00 years ago. and iof you wanted to fish lake erie it would cost 9.00 more. compare the fishing and water available (lakes) and we are still greatly ahead. Not to pump my horn, I buy my wife a license and she may fish a few times whenits warm and flat. they call it Lucy water, if you ever heard it in the oswego area. will not comment on what NY does withpolitics as I do not live there, I just know for 25/30 years I have enjoyed being there. And am a happy red dock, wrights landing boater.

john :)

I have absolutly no problem spending the money for my licence. What about the part Time guy? We want more participation , so raise the price ? Huge cuts in stocking ? So less guys come up. Less folks used the NYS Thruway and rev was down, so what do they do? Raise the tolls.So even less use it.State needed more money to waste , raise taxes on buissnesses & residence , so the buisnesses left the state, with jobs, the people that did them & their tax dollars. As a private buissness owner , thats not smart buisness sence. Using all availlable law enforcement agencys IS smart buisseness.I really wonder how much NET profit the state saw from the increase taking all factors into consideration.My guess not as much as you would think.

Not all that fish are hardcores like we are & drown a worm only a few times a year. In tough times, families cut where they can. The Bar analogy is kind of insulting.

Bass Pro Shops have the book..It's not just the license in New York that is high....EVERYTHING in NY is insane....Taxes....fuel....But ( lol ) I live all winter just to fish New York all summer....$70.00 was a shock at first ( fixed income )...but I have fished in Colorado ( Yampa River & Stagecoach Lake ) and their license is higher...One summer when my grandson played baseball in Los Vegas...I took my other Grandson to Lake Mead ....bought a license and rented a boat...Suprise....Had to buy TWO licenses ( Nevada and Arizona ) ONE day was half of what my New York is for a year...My buddies who fish only here in Texas salivate when I show them pictures of my NY fish...What was that old Credit Card Ad that said " priceless " >>> That's how I look at the cost of fishing New York 8)8)8)8)

I have a lifetime license and have had one for many years. I also purchased them for my children when they were born so license increase fees do not affect me however I am still very concerned about them. Currently a sportsman license is $88 a year. I strongly feel we are pricing out the occasional anglers and hunters and are especailly pricing newbies out of the deal. Obvioulsy the guys on this forum invest a lot of money into their sport so the high cost of the license is just an irrantant to them. It is the others indivdiuals that we are loosing in our sport that is concerning. If you don't belive it has an effect just look at how many hunters are in the woods on opening day or the number of boaters on the lakes. When I first started hunting there would be convoys of hunters heading down the road at 4am and the woods were a sea of orange. During derbies at the Oak you had to park past the parkway bridge to launch at the point. There is no arguing particiaption is down and that is not good for the rest of us. As our numbers dwindle our significance with politicians and the public wanes until we become irrelevant.

I have a lifetime license but I'm sympathetic to the rest. My girlfriend occasionally hunts. Last year, only one day. This year, if she wants to hunt, she can spend the $88. I'm not spending that for the one or two days she might get out. So as some have said, the prices are pushing out the occasional sportsman. I will be buying the lifetime licenses for my niece and nephew also.

The NYS Thruway Authority did it to themselves. Here's my situation. I live in Sherrill and commute to Syracuse about 250 days a year just for work. If I paid tolls, it would be $2.30 per day for the round trip from Exit 33 to 34A and back. That's $575 a year just for work. Instead I buy the commuter plan EZPass for $90 for the year, unlimited usage, up to 30 miles per trip. If I go over 30 miles, there is a nominal charge depending on the distance. And, the Thruway doesn't need to employ an attendant to pass me a ticket or take the money.

Well, guess I will make 2 trips to ny this year from Pa. i will have to make sure not to buy a yearly license anymore. it would have been cheaper with just 2 trips(due to budget) to have just purchased one day licenses each time i went. but anyway i am sure happy that i will be able to get a regulations book to have on the boat with me when I come up there. I am not one to complain but was shocked last year when my fee almost doubled. If it would have went up but ten dollars more it wouldn't have been so shocking. I am now thinking that this will be my last year making the trip. It is just too costly for me anymore with gas, license fees,and all. I am on a fixed budget afterall. We are having the same thing happening in our state of Pa with more licenses for everything -with hunting anyway. i spent many years teaching for the game commission and teaching the shooting sports and fishing. Back then it seemed that sportsman stuck together better on these issues. i can see less hunters and fishermen afield anymore . It is a sad thing to see. i started this topic to indeed see if a regulation book was available so I would have one right there on my boat with me should i have a question about something. I do not go to bars nor am I rich and have a lot of money to spend. i try to save enough to make a few trips each year if at all possible. To some this 30.00 added license fee may be nothing. to me it could mean the difference between being able to come to ny fishing or not. i always buy the yearly license thinking possibly I could get there again sometime through the summer or fall.

but this never happens ,as i can not afford to. the topic was not meant to insult anyone.

it was just a question asked. i thank each of you for your answers.

As a license issuing agent, I have some regulation books available. If you would like me to mail you one, please send me a private message with your mailing address and I would be happy to do so, courtesy of Captain's Cove.

~ Michele

Captain's Cove Resort, Inc.

http://www.fishcaptainscove.com/

[email protected]

585-682-3316

As a license issuing agent, I have some regulation books available. If you would like me to mail you one, please send me a private message with your mailing address and I would be happy to do so, courtesy of Captain's Cove.

~ Michele

Captain's Cove Resort, Inc.

http://www.fishcaptainscove.com/

[email protected]

585-682-3316

thanks Michele, I do not expect you to do that but really appreciate the offer. It is nice to see a sportsperson trying to help another sportsperson. I can get one when I get up there on this trip. i am hoping to get things together fast enough to possibly make the trip this weekend. Please rest assured that your name and business will be remembered and passed on to anyone asking where to go. thanks again for the offer !

it was very nice of you.

Not for nothing but it is all relitive isn't it. We are flat broke as a state. Just like about 2/3 rds of the states in this great country. On the other hand no offensse to the out of staters it should be this way go to Canada It cost more this year as well and more expessive than NY too. You guys do not pay the high taxes we do either. That is a conversation for another day. Good Luck