Best spoons for salmon

I've been looking at this board since last August and have learned eveything I know from this site. I have developed a case of salmon fever.I We have bought a good supply of flashers and atomic flies but have no spoons. If I was going to buy 6 spoons what brands and colors would you reccomend? Any help would be apprecated.Thank You,Gary Benedict

Stinger NBK

Dreamweaver Super Slim Glow Froggy

Northern King Lazer Spook

Northern King 42nd (Green Thunder with a silver and glow ladder staggered)

Northern King Blue Dolphin and put an orange ladder down the front

Thanks for the info.I went online to order some and a few more questions.Yankee,on the nk's do use regular or mag?Going deep, are yours all michigan stingers?I am very new to this and appreciate your help.Thanks in advance,Gary

• 5 years later...

I am going to do you a favor. Go to Northportnailer.com and order a bunch of their 100 series 3.24" spoons in K41G color for steelhead, cohos and spring browns. Order a bunch of their 300 series 3.75" spoons in K82 color for Kings. You will not need any other spoons for Lake O fish. If you would like some other good blanks try dreamweaver SS in Leopard frog color for a green spoon, and mytacklebox.com has a great spook pattern (dark) listed under their hex pattern super-lite blank in Black ice/glow LB #99.

Gill...While everyone has their favorite spoons, i think its a little misleading to say those spoons are the only thing you will need. In terms of the size. Not so much the brand or pattern. They are standard sizes, but much smaller and certainly larger spoons make up a large portion of what can be effective on any given day. IMO

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Nope, I will stand by my statements. The author asked for our opinion. I too have every spoon listed by other posters and agree they are all good patterns. I am not sponsored by anyone and have no agenda only trying to keep a fellow angler from getting a spoon collections as big as mine. In the end if I had to start all over, I would only have one spoon box with those patterns I listed. Too many options clouds judgements. Keep it simple to start. Spoons on the riggers and flasher/flies on the dipsys and you will do fine. Rather see you spend your money on a good fishfinder and speed and temp unit then getting every spoon pattern under the sun.

Nope, I will stand by my statements. The author asked for our opinion. I too have every spoon listed by other posters and agree they are all good patterns. I am not sponsored by anyone and have no agenda only trying to keep a fellow angler from getting a spoon collections as big as mine. In the end if I had to start all over, I would only have one spoon box with those patterns I listed. Too many options clouds judgements. Keep it simple to start. Spoons on the riggers and flasher/flies on the dipsys and you will do fine. Rather see you spend your money on a good fishfinder and speed and temp unit then getting every spoon pattern under the sun.

You missed my point. I said i didn't care about the pattern, i said the size is way more important than the pattern. 2" spoons as well as 4.25" are a large part of my approach. If you don't factor those sizes in, well thats fine.

You missed my point. I said i didn't care about the pattern, i said the size is way more important than the pattern. 2" spoons as well as 4.25" are a large part of my approach. If you don't factor those sizes in, well thats fine.

Pete you are spot on! To limit yourself to one brand would limit success.

Pete you are spot on! To limit yourself to one brand would limit success.

Agreed.

Every different blank produces different action at different speeds.

Glen

Size matters!!! :lol: Baitfish are differant sizes in the spring than in the fall. The bait that hatched out in the spring are just getting interesting to the Salmon and Trout in the fall on the fingerlakes. So the smaller spoons work well then. In the Spring I like the bigger baits, because the bait is bigger . Match the hatch just like the Fly guys.

You will never get a simple answer with a question like that.

My favorite spoons are:

Purple Thunder

Watermelon

Blue Dolphin

Hawg Wild

NBK Green Glow

NBK slayer

I like to start the season with blue colors then go to greens and end up with the orange and purple colors.

We did a thread on best spoons for 2012. And i'm just a successful rookie going into my 3rd year. It all depends on the time of year, water clarity, light, year, luck (lol)...

I recommend:

-Fuller SSW

-Fuller KOS

-Stinger NBK

-DW 42nd

-Stinger Green hornet

-Stinger Glow Alewive

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to find, but my favorite is a black and purple evil eye! Wish I could fine a couple more!

you could always order direct from Eppinger. Not cheap, but they're available. Maybe find some friends to go in on an order as they have a volume discount (10% on 6, 25% on a dozen)

http://www.eppinger.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?fs=1&mp=1&init=1

Tim Edited by tbromund