Best spoons for salmon

Certainly agree with many of the statements made so far, all GREAT spoons that we have had luck with at some time!  Light penetration, (ie cloudy - bright sun- early morning) and time of year all play into what spoon to run. I had good luck with Moonshine & A NBK with glow cup in the early first light last season. But I also had multiple days that The King bite slowed...we slid in to pick up some browns .....& Kings Inhaled the smaller Spoons like Green Alewife & Glow Goby that I had put down while running in shallower water! When they get in close before the fall run you never know what they will hit!

There are lots of one hit wonders but from my limited experience the most effective for me the last 5 years has been:

Moonshine Carbon 14

Full disclosure: I am on the pro-staff for Moonshine and am so confident in them that I use only their spoons!

Edited by Captain Carl Bish

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a bunch of NK mag blanks and some ladder backs stickers and let my sons make me some lures. Our best king lure last yr was a white mag blank with staggered chartreuse and raspberry ladders. Other top producers were fuller King of Sting, SSW, Diehard. All mags. Once I cleaned that first spring king and saw the size of the smelt in the stomach, I made sure mags were in my spread. Dirty white boy slayed the steelhead on high riggers

Same here Tim. I've tried with and w/o split rings also. Had one good morning with it a couple years ago and squat since.

I don't know what to tell you other than my theory that particular lures don't catch fish, rather fishermen catch fish when they present a lure effectively. Refining a presentation of baits based on experience is a skill that all us fishermen possess. Another skill is the ability to read conditions, and still another is the ability to read baits, years ago a captain taught me how to read a spoon -- that is to look at a bait and determine the conditions under which it will be effective as well as how/if the bait will be compatible with other lures in the spread.

I am sure that both you and Tim have baits that fit into your presentation and you should stick with what you know.

gbj92 should give the carbon 14 a try as he establishes his presentation strategy. To round out the other 5 spoons please go to the reports threads here on lou or the website below and review the reports pages where some successful spoons are chronicled over the last two seasons.

we mainly fish afternoon/evening bite.  And got the carbon 14 to fire at dusk on a rigger 75 or 80 ft down.  Couple of scratch marks on it and a bent hook.  The ratchet jaw I can't seem to get to work though.  Maybe the fish are scared of how  BRIGHT it glows.  MAGS only

Edited by BrokeOff

Captain's Cove trys to keep the popular Lake Ontario spoons in stock and we will ship spoons.  We have NK's, Dreamweavers, Moonshines, Yeck's, Silver Streaks and for 2013 we will be stocking Bobby Fuller's King of Sting and others.  We no longer stock Michigan Stinger spoons but DW and NK also make NBKs.  If we can help you, please let us know.

~ Michele

Captain's Cove

585-682-3316