Freshwater Drum

Deaf Fisherman

A freshwater drum = sheephead. Im sure I-bay has them, you can find them pretty much anywhere along the shore and bays of Lake "O". As for baits and lures i'm really not sure, i don't target the species. Hope this helps

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Thank everyone for the info.

I never caught them before so I want to catch them before leaving the NY for good. It will be interested how i pick up the information after i caught one. such like when you was never knew musky and found out about it. Then, until you caught one, you will be understand how it is work to catch them. Therefore, that would be produce more musky bites. That is same as Sheephead fish. :P

If I caught it, it will be chalk up on checklist of my many fish species that being caught in my lifetime. I like to targeting new fish species that I never caught it before. For example, I caught Brown Trouts, Lakers, and Smelts at this year, in which, I never caught them in my whole life. :beer::yes:

This fish is next for this year along with musky too. 8)

They can be caught in Oneida Lake. We catch them while trolling for walleye even though we don't target them. Fun fish to catch even though we throw them back,...good fight.

I caught quite a few in I-Bay with fat heads while fishing for perch.They are strong but not very spectacular fighters. They have a pearl like round ball in their head which has to do with their sense of balance. In the old days it was often used as jewelry

I-bay is loaded with them in May- June. The Genesee River is also loaded. When I was in Highschool, we went down to the pier on a cloudy day in late May and hammered the sheephead. Crabs under a slip float with a 10' lead was the key. A guy came over to us and asked us to keep them for him. We kept 34 large sheephead for him. We ran out of bait so he went to the old Hollow Grinders and paid for more bait. He said he loved to smoke them. He said they tasted like whitefish. I don't know about that but I have never tried.

They're in the Genny for sure. You're going to see them rolling on the surface pretty soon in pods of 6 or more. They're so numerous at times that I have hit them with the prop on the boat.

Anyway, I have accidently caught quite a few in there casting in the evening for walleyes. Heard they are all around I bay too in May. Almost any stickbait will work when they are in.

Grady

They have a pearl like round ball in their head which has to do with their sense of balance. In the old days it was often used as jewelry

Interesting that you mention that. I have gotten redfish or channel bass or the same as red drum from the Atlantic. Those have the jewelry in their head as well. Two perfectly formed pieces like ivory in a fluid pocket. Polished they make nice pieces.

Mark

Only heard of one person eating them. He smoked them with hickory chips, he said they weren't too bad at all. He said he was really surprised.

You could smoke a turd and it would be good, some fish are meant for the sport of it for sure.

The state record Drum was caught in Mud Creek

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an old Kentucky receipe for baking DRUM. First use a Drum of any size, doesn't matter if its skinned or not. Next find an old out house that has had a lot of use. Remove the board with the hole in the middle, you know which one if you are old enough. Pre heat your oven to 250 degrees. Place the board in the oven with the Drum on top. Bake for 20 minutes, no longer. Remove the board and DRUM from the oven, throw away the DRUM and eat the board. :lol::lol::rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bud- as soon as the Genny clears up- casting spoons, deep divers or dropping crawfish to the bottom all work. Catch them off the Summerville Pier and have some fun!