First time fishing Western End of Ontario

Hi Everyone - I've fished Mexico Bay and Oswego area for years, just moved to Buffalo and will be looking to fish this end of the lake for the first time tomorrow (4/23). Was hoping to get some general advice - plan to launch from either Wilson or Ft. Niagara.

Don't really care what kind of fish I target, really just looking for a productive day - should I concentrate on trolling shallows near shore for browns? 50-60 feet with riggers for lakers? Fish the bar for kings?

I've done some research and its seems like all these methods are used out here, but I'm not sure based on the time of year etc what would work best for me.

Again, not looking for any secreat spots, just a general direction to head once up there.

Thanks for any help! I look forward to contributing to these boards now that I found them.

Welcome to the West end where all the fish are..... :lol: .

You should do fine at either location. In Wilson, try working the shallows east toward Olcott (7-10 fow) with small shallow sticks and small spoons for browns. If the water is too clear head out to 50 -80 fow and put some laker gear down within 10 feet of bottom.

If you choose Niagara the area between the green can and the red can holds tons of lakers right now.

Good luck and again.....welcome to where the fish call home. :yes:

well if you went to the bar direction i guess youve found out about the gravel and discharge debres comming down the river this time of year.

many logs (some hudge) so keep yer eyes peeled and your boards a tad tight to the boat for emergency ((fast) retrival if ya run too close to a "junk" pile.

also near the entrance of the river it goes from 36 ft to 18 ft (east to west troll) in a few hundred feet so dont neglect yer riggers and depth finder if your draggin for lakers in close (about 1/2 mile from shore)...and pay close attention to the border boundry (USA/CA) SO YA DONT RUN INTO ANY MOUNTIES IF YA DONT HAVE A CA LIC.

"DID I MENTION REALLY BIG LOGS AND JUNK PILES BE CAREFULL..