Replicas

Mike - that's beautiful work, really. I looked up some of your other work - any habitat planned for this one?

Cali - send him a PM.

Thanks, Paul. Figured you knew each other - you just did a lecture up that way this weekend, didn't you?

Bump

I have priced out several places and man replicas are $$$$$$

"Each scale is hand painted an average of 3-5 times to build depth in the paint."

:cash::cash::cash::cash::cash::cash::cash:

You get what you pay for! Find a "cheap job" and see what you have to look at, for your trophy of a lifetime!

Location of your taxidermist is not a factor as far as fish are concerned because they are easily packaged and shipped. You shouldnt restrict yourself to only choosing from whos local to your home..

Mike.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I know some guys that can do mounts of mammals and birds that look so lifelike it's scary, but give them a fish, and they come back looking nothing like what you caught. Replicas or skin mounts - BOTH require the taxidermist to be a taxidermist, a sculptor, and most importantly, a very talented painter. Bottom line is the paint job done on your fish is the single most important part of getting a mount to be proud of. Don't limit yourself by location for a fish mount, find someone with lots of references and examples of their work (online photos can help).

As for replicas, like Mike said, unless you want a custom mount where the mold is made from your actual fish, all you really need are some good measurements and some high quality color photos so they can match the coloring accurately.

It's been a while since I had to measure up a fish for a replica and don't recall all of the ones beyond length and girth. I know they work with just those two, but if I remember, there were a few extras if you want it to truely look like the fish you caught.

I'm sure Mike can elaborate on that.

By the way... Really nice work Mike!!!!

I am currently having a 20# + Summer steelhead Replica mount done.(caught June Niagara Pro-am)

I will post pics as soon as i get him back.

Jerry

REBEL CHARTERS

I'd still take a skin mount on that fish Jerry

I have priced out several places and man replicas are $$$$$$

Ya they are. I am just going to have the actual fish mounted when I catch one worthy enough. Most taxidermists want around $3 more an inch. For most fish thats another $100!

• 1 month later...
I am currently having a 20# + Summer steelhead Replica mount done.(caught June Niagara Pro-am)

Jerry

REBEL CHARTERS

Paul beat you to it. That's a beauty of a fish :http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32513&p=192382#p192382

Jerry

REBEL CHARTERS

I'd still take a skin mount on that fish Jerry

For what its worth Reproductions are NOT what they used to be. Modern molding methods and materials are producing BETTER reproductions than ever. Some fish, ESPECIALLY spring and early summer steelhead, kings and cohos simply cannot be skin mounted "properly". Soft skin and delicate scales do not make for good skin mounts and it doesn't matter how careful the angler was with the fish. To do a skin mount on Jerry's fish would have been a HUGE injustice to the fish and to Jerry.

Steelhead'r......a properly mounted "skin mount" today consists of ONLY the skin of the fish. Most top taxidermists reproduce the head and fins on cold water fish skin mounts.