i am going to buy a couple more sets of cowbells but this time i was wondering what blade colors you guys like to use. on the Luhr Jensen website there are about 11 different color types to choose from and was wondering what you guys have success with. any additional info is appreciated. thanks Codie

Codie,

Ditch the Luhr Jensons and buy some Hammerheads. I used to use the Luhr Jensens and there was a ton of drag with them. For Hammerheads, I use Crystalina, Mountain Dew, All Silver, and Gold and silver.

hey, i looked them up and like all the colors! i think i am going to buy one of each of the colors you said plus maybe one more. what blade sizes do you have the most success with, i like the bigger 4/0 and 5/0. also should i run like a peanut fly behind it or just spoons? thanks for all the help!!

If they have something like a fire tiger colored set or a yellow with flame orange edge, you might want to get one of those. Thats my favorite color. I run a yellow and orange spinner or peanut behind it. I also often run a silver/blue set of bells with a silver/blue/red lip flat fish behind it. That is probably my best rig for big lakers. I also agree that the Luhr Jensen bells pull very hard. I've had guys reel them up thinking they had a fish on.

Slow, slow, slow! Make sure you're going slow. I like 1.3 to 1.6mph. Drop it to the bottom, let it settle out for a minute or so and then drop it to bottom again. Then pick it up a foot. Keep checking to make sure you are near bottom every once in a while. If I'm fishing just for lakers, I'll run three bells. I run two of them a foot off bottom and one about 5 feet off bottom.

My speed range differs a little. .08 to 1.8. 1.3 is the sweet spot. Bottom contact is a must once and a while. Follow the what Mickey Finn says about dropping the ball. He is dead on. When you turn, make sure you raise the inside rigger on the turn up a couple feet or it will sit on the bottom and the lure will collect muscles.

I run mine on the main line. I have tried hooking them to the ball but currents can make a real mess that way. I also found without the resistance of the bells, the lakers come up way too fast and are even harder to revive/burp.