Tow vehicle?

stinger

Well I'm toying around with investing in a new tow vehicle. My boat is a 19' glass hardtop on a tandem axle trailer weighing 4600+ lbs total that I usually pull 160 to 220 miles round trip. Presently I have a Ford 2001, E-250 5.4L (330 cid) using regular gas w/extended wheel base pulling that boat & trailer and average 11 mpg. I would like to find something that would be a little more efficient and boost my average mpg. I’m not sold on any particular truck (van, SUV, pickup, etc) to replace the van. Better efficiency is primary and utility is secondary.

I wanted to check in with you guys to see if you have something I should check out. Your actual usage and experience is what I’m looking for. Thanks for any info. I feel my best shot at good info will come from my brothers of the lodge ;) , not some propaganda that the manufactures try to pawn off on us.

Did you see the Ford informertial a few weeks back about their new Eco -boost engine ? After seeing that , I think I would seriously consider one & I am not a Ford guy. See if you can find the infomertial on line. I was amazed. 22 mpg & power to spare. Not to mention they beat the crap out of it.

If you want to save on gas... Get a dock. :lol:

We tow our boat with a Chevy 1/2 ton with the 5.3(?). On the road it gets around 13.

Problem is, between the weight and the aerodynamics like a sheet of plywood you just won't get very good mileage. It's more a question of not getting horrid mileage.

Picked up a 2010 Ford Expedition (5.4L) a few months back and have been very happy. Recent calculation puts the vehicle in at just under 17 mpg which I thought was suprisingly good for a large vehicle. It also tows our 24' Penn Yan with no problem. My father has a Ford F-150 with the same motor that is getting roughly the same mileage.

2008 F 250...V10...415 cubic inches....365 HP....

Tow 6000 lb. Dual axle with center console t top.

Pulls like an ox...eats like one too....8.5 Mpg.

(.5 Mpg matters under 10) ....don't get this unless you want efficiency in speed.....uphill.....against the wind.

But yes the Eco boost 6 banger twin turbo is very impressive....10,500 lb tow rating for the f 150. :muscle:

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Dear Stinger,

In order to get better fuel mileage towing, you will have to wait for the future...!! The new GM small Duramax V-6 Diesel (due TWO YEARS AGO) for the small 1/2 ton trucks will be the ticket. And obsolete everything when it arrives!!! You wll able to get 20+ MPG empty and have a vehicle that rides nice. The present V-8 Duramax's are HEAVY DUTY chassis and ride like one empty. And they get 19 to 21 MPG empty. The premium cost of diesel fuel and future fuel price increases may remove us from towing at all. Enjoy towing while you can, Leaving a boat in the water brings on more expenses....that's why dry stacking boats has become so popular.

I presently get 10 to 10.5 MPG towing a 5500 lb. payload with a 5.3 GM V-8/Tahoe with 3.73 rear gears. (at 65 MPH). Comfortably & safely. Hilly country will drop it down below 10 MPG. The cost of a new vehicle also will be prohibitive. Talk to people that actually own what your going to buy before you make your choice is the best advice. Do not underpower and get the right rear axle ratio.

Rspectfully submitted,....Jet Boat Bill

The payment book pages will buy you a lot of gasoline so why not live with the old rig and cry all the way to the bank with the money you are not spending on a new truck. The old truck does the job when you need it, keep it and if you need better mileage for commuting, get a car.

I have a 2000 Ford Excursion with a 7.4 Diesel. I get 17 towing at 70 mph, and I don't even feel my 4000 lb boat in back. I also took the 3rd seat out and put a queen size bed in, so it doubles as my camper.

I might add that the new diesel, even though they get good mileage, the price of diesel is way higher than gasoline which is a wash in savings. Diesel engines are expensive options in a new vehicle. Also, what a lot of folks don't realize, is there is this new " feel good" fluid that you will have to buy and blow out the exhaust to clean the exhaust.

DEF....diesel exhaust fluid. Also called "urea" which is a combination of water and anhydrous ammonia. It adds nothing to the power and burns off in the exhaust as a percentage of the fuel burned by the vehicle.

The bad part is finding it everywhere right now and it costs nearly as much as diesel per gallon. Even though you don't put in at every fill up it is still added expense to the operation.

This is the reason I am not buying a new class 8 truck right now. It's an added nuisance to put this stuff in a separate tank and find the fluid along with the expense. if you let it run out ....prepare to pull off the highway because it will derate the engine and you will not be able to pull.

Thanks for all the feed back guys. I felt that I’d get real world info that I wouldn’t see elsewhere. Some of the stuff I knew already but I needed to hear it from someone else and most is new stuff to me.

The heads up that Has Been posted was pretty interesting. I watched all the videos Ford had on their site about the Eco-Boost engine. Great production and the audio was amazing in surround sound. Made me want to run out and buy one,......but not today. Pretty pricy. We’ll have to give it some time to prove itself. Thanks H B.

I agree with the consensus that the payment book or the higher price for diesel fuel & additives will quickly erode any savings in higher MPG. Both my vehicles are paid for, (also `08 Explorer V6 195 hp) and get the same milage while towing but I may be forced into giving up the van within the year ;( so that is why I’m starting to look for a replacement.

Thanks for the input so far.

Until we get to the point of new engines across the board(I know Ford has done it this year besides the Ecoboost) you are not going to experience any dramatic increase in fuel economy. So far my own experience driving unload full size pick-ups or SUV's on the highway has been at best 16 mpg. And while towing you may pick up an extra mile or two but it will not offset the new payment book. So you buy or drive what you got in the driveway or the used car lot. As some posters above have said outside of the unproven Ecoboost-we are a couple years away from real improvement.

I have the new F-250 Crew Cab with the 6.2 L Gas. You do not want to know the millage :o . Pulls the boat great but it should with the size of the motor under the hood. Sean

Bought a new 2010 Crew cab w/powerstroke last year to pull with, and was considering this year's 6.2 liter, just curious what you're pulling (weight) what rear ring/pinion gear, and what mileage you're seeing? Pulling just under 9K for 240+ miles (cruise set at 68 mph) air on, I see nothing above 13-14mpg. without the boat, usually 16 or so if you keep your foot out of it/ boost under 10psi. Having a real tough time deciding whether or not to have a custom chip burned for it, and install a DPF delete exhaust. Tech at nearby dealer contends that doing so will yield at least 22mpg (not towing). I will say that this thing pulls like a train, and you really have to be careful, or you'll find yourself rolling down the highway clickin 80 or so without any problem.... until you try to get it slowed down in a hurry. LOL.

Stinger, as far as vehicle options go, what about a used 7.3 powerstroke 2000-2003 F250? If you can find one without a ton of miles, these trucks routinely saw 20+mpg and with the weight of your rig, I would say you shouldn't see much less towing. No additives for the exhaust crap, (EPA mandated this in 07' I think) so they're not choked down. A freind of mine has one, and won't even consider anything else. The only issue he has had is front end components going south due to the extremely heavy engine weight. One thing is certain, DO NOT error on power as Bill stated. Doing so taxes everything twice as hard and you will quickly realize that any economical gains to be had will only be realized when you're not towing.

I have 04 dodge cummins that's been BOMed. (better off modify) I have 600 pluss horse to use. And with no load I can get 24 on the highway but towing I'm at 19 to 21 no matter what. If you go diesel the cummings is the hands down best if any one wants to argue its a joke. Go to a sled pull and see what 99% have. The biggest reason is they can be BOMed and HP = file savings if you controll yourself.

Thanks PK for your post. Because of this thread I was made aware of the Dodge/Cummings. Come to find out a subcontractor that works for me has a `07 Ram/ cummings V6-5.9L and pulls a tool and material trailer. He gets pretty much the same milage towing as you are saying,.... (18 town- 21 highway). :thinking:

I've been pretty much Ford guy for years but that may change if the Ram Cummings is the only real game in town. Thanks again for posting.

If I drive (I know this is hard to believe but its true) 55 on the highway with no load on the flat and level I get 32 mpg! But that is with my chip turned all the way up. They really do profit by some tweaking with chips, they are down to a science now. They are automatic in there operation now and easy to use (the chips) they will pay for themselves in 2 years, they do cost from 500 to 1300$ for a good chip, but again they pay for themselves in 2 years and they wake up your truck like crazy. When one it installed they do not damage your truck, if you are using it properly and not abusing it. I can light up all 4 of my tires and burn them right off if I want, but that really hurts the gas mileage.. :)

Towing I tow a big toy hauler, and I can run up hills passing mid size cars with lots of acceleration in the pedal yet. Go to the web site DTR and you will find a bunch of real pros and when you buy from them Larry is one of the greatest guys you will ever deal with, and full of good advice of what is working the best for what years of trucks. But you will find they are all Cummings there.

I love Ford Trucks, but LOVE the CUMMINS Engine, Put the two together and youd have the nicest truck on the market!! Good luck in your search...I still say the FERD F-Teenthousand is best.

If I drive (I know this is hard to believe but its true) 55 on the highway with no load on the flat and level I get 32 mpg! But that is with my chip turned all the way up. They really do profit by some tweaking with chips, they are down to a science now. They are automatic in there operation now and easy to use (the chips) they will pay for themselves in 2 years, they do cost from 500 to 1300$ for a good chip, but again they pay for themselves in 2 years and they wake up your truck like crazy. When one it installed they do not damage your truck, if you are using it properly and not abusing it. I can light up all 4 of my tires and burn them right off if I want, but that really hurts the gas mileage.. :)

Towing I tow a big toy hauler, and I can run up hills passing mid size cars with lots of acceleration in the pedal yet. Go to the web site DTR and you will find a bunch of real pros and when you buy from them Larry is one of the greatest guys you will ever deal with, and full of good advice of what is working the best for what years of trucks. But you will find they are all Cummings there.

What is the website?