New to trolling: had some basic questions

Hello all,

I am new to the site, and new to trolling. I have chased bass and pike for years, but want to expand my horizons into trout and salmon. I am reading the site each night gathering valuable information, but wanted to ask a few questions to help me get established with the right equipment the first time and get out there fishing ASAP.

Existing Boat: I have a 14' Alumacraft Utility Boat 25hp tiller, roughly 66" widest point. Based on this, I will definitely be limiting myself to ideal weather conditions and relatively close to shore. Therefore, I want to setup for flatlining, inline planers, and dipsey divers. Not looking into downrigging at this point.

Here are my questions ...

1. How critical is it to have Line-counting reels for the type of fishing I have described above? I have the ability to acquire some Daiwa 27H and 47H level-wind reels very reasonably, but am concerned I will not be happy with these. Do you guys have effective alternatives to line counting reels, or should I just save my pennies and buy the LC reels. Also, what is the ideal size of reel for what I am looking for? I thought a 27 size would be more appropriate?

2. I recently bought some Shimano Downrigger Rods (I know, I am not planning on rigging, but thought they would work for in line planers). Will these work well enough for dipsey divers, or do I need separate equipment to run those?

3. I have read that Precision Trolling is a must have book for this type of fishing, and I have ordered it. Any other books that you would recommend?

4. I have never fished the Niagara Bar, so I am unsure of the typical conditions there. Would I be pushing my luck in a 14' aluminum boat there given the right conditions?

5. Any other major do's or don'ts you would tell someone starting into this journey. I am eager to learn, and would appreciate any feedback to this post. Thanks!

My first and foremost suggestion would be to not venture to far from safe habor with the size boat you will be using. Weather can come up quickly.

1. You do not need lc's. I did not have any for years. Just count the passes the reel makes and multiply by approx. 3' for each pass, roughly. If you go to lc's go with the 47's, more capacity.

2.The rods will work but you should have twilly tips on the ends for wire.

3. Very good reference guide. Another good publication is the mag Great Lakes Angler good articles, they do alot with small boat rigging ideas.

4. Again, pay close attention to weather. DO NOT slight on your safety equipment, to include a good operating vhf and gps.

5. If I were starting out again, I think one thing I would do differently would be once or twice I would charter a trip to see what techniques and tackle are being used. Most all of your known charter captains will be more than happy to show you the ropes so to speak to assist you in the learning curve. One can buy alot of not needed tackle in the process.

Hope this is a start, we all needed this at some point and most of us are continuing to learn............good luck, good fishin :yes:

Line counters just make things easy. Take the reel, pull line off the reel until the line guide goes all the way across the reel. Measure the line that came off the reel in that "pass". Let out the proper amount of passes to achieve the distance you want your lure out. For Divers, you want a Medium heavy rod. If they are medium or medium light, they are a little on the light side unless you are using smaller divers. I used to fish the lake as a teen out of a 14' smokercraft. You had to really pick and choose your days. You can do it. There is not reason wny you can't add riggers to the boat. I had small cannons on my old 14' boat. They worked great.

WNYTony Your boat/motor size is a MAJOR limiting factor for fishing the bar. The inshore fishing in the Niagara region for trout and salmon can be good in the spring when the fish are in shallow. At Fort Niagara, the green can sits about a mile from shore at the river mouth. The river bottom depth comes up to 18 feet or so in this area and stays there for several miles out. On a perfect weather day (light or no wind) you will be safe in green can area.

At Wilson or Ollcot, a mile from shore will put you put you into 50+ feet of water, where you would like to go for these fish species as the fish move out as spring progresses (the red can at the river mouth is 4 miles out and sits in 50 FOW-just before the 100FOW dropdown- Not a safe place for your boat/motor combination in any weather because of distance and travel time to shore). Wilson/Ollcot area is safer for you and probably more productive as spring matures.

Summer fishing will require deeper waters most times, but your boat/motor combination are too small to venture out there with. Summer fishing is in 200++++FOW (translate 1-12miles from shore).

From late August on you can find trout and salmon (mostly) moving back to near shore waters where you could use your boat again.

To sum it up, you will be limited to near shore waters during March, April, and early May for spring season and mid August on for fall season. Summer season will require you to fish for other species, unless you are ready to get a bigger boat/motor set-up.

agree to all!! .... Tony i would really read up alot on the shallow water Brown trout fishing... you mainly fish shallower than 30 fow at all times and it can produce some fantastic days.. last year you could fish browns all summer long just outside of Olcott and wilson east and west in shallow water... gear is light and sometimes less is best for these spotty's .... master that and move up!

Yes, all good feedback about my boat being a limiting factor in the summer time and way off shore, no doubt. I am simply looking to test the waters on this type of fishing, and spring brown trout will suffice. If I catch the bug, I will upgrade boats.

Thanks for your input, and ceratinly keep it coming if you have any other advice. Greatly appreciated.

I fish out of a 14' starcraft spring browns summer walleye and fall kings are all doable but check that wave forecast often and day of. If you can afford it I recommend lcs. For your dipseys that way you can let them out and set another line at the same time. Also look to the fingerlakes withthat boat a lot more fishable days for a small boat and can build that urge a bit

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

• 10 months later...

Great advice from everybody. I like line counters mostly because I end up forgetting what number I am on while setting up and end up starting over (My memory is gone).

I have seen guys out pretty far with boats that are too small, please be smart. a fish is not worth getting killed for.

If you dont want to spend alot of money on riggers try torpedo divers. A cheap alternative to downriggers that I use year round torpedodivers.com

I started out with a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 7.5 mercury many moons ago. I had a rigg'r mounted within my reach and would drag some silver flatfish around I-Bay outlet way before it had that bridge & channel. I was one of the few that could actually get out into the lake from I-bay. It was a blast at the crack of dawn. :)

"Rigg'rs - don't leave home without them." :inlove:

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Line counters give you repeatability. If you hit a fish with 150 setting , you can reset easly back to the 150 setting. Pick your days carefully, and have fun.