In-line Planers - Fixed or Sliding?

I have a mast and planer boards for my 16' Starcraft. However, when fishing alone I figure it will be much easier to put out a couple rods with small in-line planers. For those of you that use these, which do you prefer - having the board release clamped tight and reel it up to rod and take off by hand or have them release and slide down to a swivel ahead of the lure? Do you loose more fish using one vs the other?

Thanks,

John

I use Church Walleye Boards set up so they slide down to a swivel above the lure. I only use them for trolling near shore for browns so i have a swivel where my 8 lb. leader starts. I put the swivel in a location where I can net a fish with the board still on the line at the swivel. Example, an 8' rod would have a 7' long leader. You can rig the boards either way, though.

I've never lost a fish from the board sliding to the swivel but sometimes the board slides to the swivel and dives underwater if there's a good size fish on. This adds a lot of tension to the line and could possibly reduce the tension on the fish, but I think it's better than having to release the board by hand while fighting a fish.

Now days the only time I run inlines is if I'm combat trolling in the fall. In that application I let the board slide. If I run one smaller lead core off each side, I fix the board with a rubber band and then deal with it as it gets close to the boat. The thing that sucks about fixing the board to the line is when reeling it in and the board dives....a way to combat the dive is when the board is comming close to the boat, reel with your rod tip down. Works almost all the time......good luck and tight lines....

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

I mostly use inlines for core when fishing alone and I fix them (don't want it sliding down the core!) they are not difficult to un hook w/ a fish on by yourself - just keep the line tension even & you will be fine. -Andy

Thanks, guys. I have the small Church boards and feel the same way as Spoonfed. I watched a video clip of a guy fishing alone with these boards and it didn't look that difficult to set the rod butt down, unclip the board and continue to fight the fish. One other question - how far behind the boards do you run your lure? Thanks.

A couple weeks ago we were after browns in clear water (6-12') and couldn't get them to go on inlines w/ leads to 150', put out the big boards & the same baits quickly took hits. I've seen this b4 too.