rod set ups

I went to gander not too long ago. I bought one of their medium action 6'6 guide series rods and I believe its the GSX 40 reel, I'll check later. It holds 235 yards of 10 pound test, sort of a big reel. I'm not quite sure if it's too big for the rod but it feels ok. Very smooth action. I know its possible to catch big fish with light tackle, I've done it. However, it's not the ideal trolling rod set up or the proper rig for huge lures. I was hoping someone could give me some ideas on what it is I should be looking for. I absolutely loathe baitcasting gear, a few mishaps awhile back and I will never touch them again. This leaves spinning outfits. Action, length, reel capacity with weights. I would prefer nothing over 14 pound test if at all possible.

Something I found out today with the rod I have, it isn't good with light weight lures, not entirely sure why. I think I got a bad matchup with reel and rod. The rods a bit light and the reels pretty big. I plan on making a trip to gander towards the end of july/beginning of august. I want to get a few rods, but if I can get a few setups that will work with different fish that would be better than individual rods for each species. A rod for carp and catfish, the rod I got now would be ideal for bass walleye and good sized pike, and probably doable for muskie. I need to figure out what I can do to help it cast better, maybe the lures are just too small which seems the most likely source of trouble, they were only size 3 and 4 aglias. So, like I said before, I need a rod that can handle big lures and get them out there, in a spinning outfit. What I may do is get a bigger rod for the reel I have and then buy a smaller reel for the one I got. Would a reel thats too big in terms of physical size hamper casting? I would think so, but I'm not too sure. I have a 6'6" medium action rhino spinning rod in the garage that has been faithful to me, I'm gunna see what I can do with it. Don't wanna retire a rod that has caught me many a fish. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest ReelDiel

try looking thru bass pro..they have alot of rods/and reels matched up and species/techinque specfic. Personally I luv the bass pro bass rods i have 3 bionic blades, 3 extremes, 2 bassmaster all baitcasting with abu reels and they work great. the only reason i dont have bass pro spin rods is i got a great deal on some nice daiwa rods i couldnt pass up. hpe this helps good luck

I did look on bass pros site, but I hate ordering online. Thats why I was hoping someone know of some stuff at gander. I was planning on bringing my rod back and asking for someone to help set me up with a proper set up unlike the last guy that helped me.

Fat tommy, i use the penn metal reels for stripers and blues in the salt, and they are TOUGH. -Smooth , reliable drags, and they can handle anything in freshwater,the 650 model is my smallest, and it's big,maybe too big for you are looking for,but they make smaller models with the same gearing/drag systems.

With that said, I don't think you can beat a baitcaster for trolling,if birdsnests are the problem, try a model with a clicker, and for trolling, you'll never have a problem.-I'm partial to the garcia c-4 series.

Yea, the more and more I've been looking, it seems that for trolling you're almost forced into using a baitcaster, it just works better. Birds nests are the problem and I don't feel comfortable holding them or casting them. I'll be going to Gander in Henrietta sometime within this month to get all the stuff I'm going to need. I really like the rod and reel I have, however I just don't think they match each other. It's their GSX 40 guide series reel spooled with 10 pound test and a 6' 6" IM* pro select guide series rod, medium action. Either way however, I'm still going to need a bigger rod anyways, I knew that from the beginning. I'll go in there and find someone who knows something about fishing. When I look at it, the reel looks larger than is fit for the rod, I'll see if I can post pictures.