50 HP Force Outboard issue Maybe!!

woody 184

Guys I am in the process of Rehabbing a 17 1/2 Foot Blue Fin Spectrum with the a 50 HP Force Outboard on it.. I fired the boat up today and it runs awesome.... One issue I noticed is that it was not discharging any water out behind the boat.. I did have the muffs on it running water to the intake for the Outboard.... I am starting to think the impeller has gone bad.... Any thoughts.... Thanks... Woody

Alright Guys I appreciate your opinions... I disassembled the Lower Unit to find that the Impeller was in pretty good shape... So I called around and NOBODY carries parts for a FORCE Outboard.. Finally the Boys at Arneys told me that Barretts Marine in Waterloo carries Force.... Great folks down there.... Called them up they had the part so an Hour ride there and an Hour ride home with the new impeller.. Put it all back together including new Lower Unit oil....... Fired it up and it still barely kicks any water out.... Not a steady stream, kinda like the days when we were younger and....Ah... Never Mind.....Any other Suggestions.... I am pleased it has a new Impeller.. Just worried it may overheat on the lake.....Woody.

Woody,

Follow the water line backwards from the outside of the motor. Some outboards have a 90 degree angled piece that the output hose connects too. Like Freeman 77 said, it can get clogged by spiders and bugs. I had a brand new Johnson on my last boat and had the problem. I took the line and cleaned it out and the difference was night and day. The clog can be in the line or the 90 degree angle piece.

My father had an old spectrum with 50hp outboard. I remember from the day we had it, it never spit a steady stream. never ran hot either an put hours on trolling and running from spot to spot. Call Vic at eyerock marine in conklin. He was a great mechanic when he worked Nic's Marine and they were force dealers. Even though the owner turned out to be a bum, he was great and had that 50 running like a top.

Brian, Thanks for the tip on the hose... I used an air compressor and gave it a few bursts of air then took a clothes hanger and wiggled that in there with no debris coming out so I believe it to be pretty clear....

Mower and Dewey I really appreciate the information on that... I may have to invest in a Temp guage for my piece of mind... But the engine runs really good for having a horrible looking stream.... I will take it out soon and run it and will let you know how I make out...... Woody

Alright Guys I appreciate your opinions... I disassembled the Lower Unit to find that the Impeller was in pretty good shape... So I called around and NOBODY carries parts for a FORCE Outboard.. Finally the Boys at Arneys told me that Barretts Marine in Waterloo carries Force.... Great folks down there.... Called them up they had the part so an Hour ride there and an Hour ride home with the new impeller.. Put it all back together including new Lower Unit oil....... Fired it up and it still barely kicks any water out.... Not a steady stream, kinda like the days when we were younger and....Ah... Never Mind.....Any other Suggestions.... I am pleased it has a new Impeller.. Just worried it may overheat on the lake.....Woody.

Call Barretts back up talk to Fran , tell him what you did and how it looks. See what he ha to say.

Ed the people at Barretts Marine were great to deal with.... I wish they were in my backyard....

Al I appreciate the information... At least the motor has the new impeller and new lower unit oil.... Have you been happy with the performance of that engine.... Woody

Woody,

My fishing Buddy has the exact same boat also and as Alpineski stated above no steady stream it almost looks like if you were to fill your mouth full of water and spit it as hard as you could <----sorry for the analogy, but he has never had an overheating issue either.

Tom

Tom I appreciate the information on the Force Outboard.. This is the first Force or Merc that I have owned... I will letr you know how I make out with it... Hopeing to splash it next week sometime... Woody