I'm itching to get up to lake O and hoping i can do it this Saturday. I know it's been cold and water temps are cooler than last year at this time but has anyone been out fishing at the bar in the 160 fow range???? Would it be worth a shot or should i just stick to shore and troll for some browns??

Tony, the game this weekend is get a Canadian license and fish for Kings near Port D (with a tournament going on) or Lakers in the 40-100' level or shoreline trolling for browns, coho, or accidental kings. Next week the kings will be around the bar.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming up for Memorial Day. I fished the bar last weekend and had 3 hits. Lost a nice king after a 10 minuted fight. Went home with an empty cooler. Where are the Kings?? Wilson, Ollcott? Are they out deep?? I haven't seen any recent reports for the bar and only a couple for wilson.

You need to find "stable" water Tony. When winds change direction constantly the water tends to become very unstable with regards to temperature. When that happens generally the water offshore is the more stable water.

When I found that group of kings off Wilson last Friday I did so by checking the satellite temp graphs for the lake. The graph showed a significant break about 6 miles offshore that had cold water on the INSIDE and warmer water on the outside. I decided to make the run on a scouting trip to see if that warmer water was "green" and not gin clear and to see if there were any cohos or steelies on it. We were rewarded with green water and KINGS.

That water is changing rapidly though. Although the kings seemed to hang around there for several days ---the fishing was truly amazing on Sunday--they are probably starting to spread out now and go back to their more "normal" haunts like the Bar and the 100-200 ft. range between Olcott and Wilson.

Good luck! Its looking like its gonna be a terrific weekend!